PDA

View Full Version : Object switch-out in a movie help

DHudson
01-24-2008, 11:30 AM
Hello -

I am making a room scene for a client who owns a lumber yard. I have my camera roving around the room showing various types of wood moulding used. The client wants one piece of ... say ... window casing ... to fade out and another wood casing to fade in as the camera moves slowly by.

How is this done?

Thank you so much for any responses

iconoclasty
01-24-2008, 12:17 PM
Several different ways it could be done. Simplest way I can think of is to animate the object dissolve (under object properties-render) to fade the objects in and out.

DHudson
01-24-2008, 01:33 PM
Thank you for your reply iconoclasty. Do you (or anyone) know of any tutorials on doing this - video tutorials- or otherwise?

Thank you!

Surrealist.
01-24-2008, 03:38 PM
OBJECT SOLUTION

It is very simple in every respect. If you want the geometry to change then use the object dissolve.

1) Put two objects in same place.

2) Open up object properties (p) with one object selected.

3) Go to Render TAB. Click on the E next to Object Dissolve.

4) In Graph Editor right click mouse around first keyframe to select it. In the Value field type in 0 percent.

5) Move the frame slider to say frame 50. repeat steps in 4 to set the value to 100 percent.

Repeat steps for alternate object. Now you can see how to set the keyframes and dissolve in and out of each object. From here you could figure out the rest.

TEXTURE SOLUTION.

If you just want to change the texture. Use one object. The simplest and most flexible way to manage this for images would be in layers. Just add multiple layers for as many images as you have then use the layer opacity graph editor to mix them.

If you have a complex procedural you might want to think about using nodes similar to how I have it set up here but instead of images it would be the procedural chain or layers.

DHudson
01-25-2008, 04:22 AM
Great! Thank you so much Richard! You guys are great, this is one forum where a person can actually get help when they ask, thanks so much.

:)

Surrealist.
01-25-2008, 01:52 PM
Not a problem. One thing you will run into is over-drift of the curves. I forgot to go into that. Whenever you use the graph editor and you need precise movement or in this case precise dissolves you will have to control the curves with the TCB controlls.

Here is an example of what I mean:

You are dissolving from image 1 to image 2 at frame 500. The dissolve will last for 90 frames at frame 500 to 590.

Image 2 is at 0 % opacity (not visible) from fram 0 to 500 and at 500 there is a keyframe so that it will lock into place until frame 500 at which time it will dissolve for 90 frames so at frame 590 you create another keyframe and enter a value of 100% opacity (visible). Now of course the other image has the exact opposite settings.

For both images the problem arises at frame 500 where you will now see that the curve has passed through that frame the way to frame 590 and created, well, a curve, hence the name. And so it dips down (or up depending on which image) to a negative or positive value between frames 0-500.

What you want is a straight line between frames 0-500.

The way to fix that is to select frame 500 in the graph editor and enter a value of 1 into the Tension field. This will now give you the correct result.

Now you could also just set the curves to Linear. But I don't recommend that. It is much better to keep things organic and flowing even for dissolves this way you get ease in and ease out.

DHudson
01-26-2008, 12:11 PM
Ahhh ... so much to learn ... thank you Richard. I will put this to practice right away. Thank you so much once again.

Surrealist.
01-26-2008, 07:26 PM
You are welcome. It should work well for you. Good luck with it.