PDA

View Full Version : VT loses input

Ralph bertini
01-24-2008, 09:18 AM
Hi all,
It's been quite awhile since I've posted. My system had a fatal crash last year and went in for reoair. Got it back but other than testing it at the vendor, it's sat unused. Finally getting around to working on it again and I'm having a strange occurrence. For some unexplainable reason, if the machine sits for awhile, The VT loses the signal from the dv deck, a JVC BR 3000. Both the Svideo and DV are gone. Audio and deck control is still there. The program and preview windows are blank. I reboot the machine...its back. It's almost like it's a card problem. I was able to capture my material from the deck no problems, then I got tied up on the phone, went back to work and the preview and program windows freeze video. The signal isn't there on DV or Svideo inputs on the switcher but audio and deck control remain. The editing function works fine. I'm puzzled

steveg
01-25-2008, 03:07 PM
I am having the same kind of problems on dv firewire input. from all 4 decks. It seems to be hit and miss when I get picture.

CreatvGnius
01-28-2008, 10:06 PM
Hi all,
It's been quite awhile since I've posted. My system had a fatal crash last year and went in for reoair. Got it back but other than testing it at the vendor, it's sat unused. Finally getting around to working on it again and I'm having a strange occurrence. For some unexplainable reason, if the machine sits for awhile, The VT loses the signal from the dv deck, a JVC BR 3000. Both the Svideo and DV are gone. Audio and deck control is still there. The program and preview windows are blank. I reboot the machine...its back. It's almost like it's a card problem. I was able to capture my material from the deck no problems, then I got tied up on the phone, went back to work and the preview and program windows freeze video. The signal isn't there on DV or Svideo inputs on the switcher but audio and deck control remain. The editing function works fine. I'm puzzled

Welcome back, Ralph B. You may have some oxidation on the card's contacts. You might do well to properly discharge yourself of electrostatic build-up, then go into your VT Host PC, and remove the card(s) associated with your VT installation.

Clean the edges of those cards (the part that slides into the PCI slot(s) with a coarse (ink) eraser; Wipe clean with a suitable electronics cleaner if you have any handy, then reseat the card. See if that does it, and let us know what does the trick for you?
-PeterG

bob anderson
01-29-2008, 05:59 PM
IMHO, If this were a contact issue, rebooting the system would not clear it up. I wonder if it might have something to do with the computers power settings.

Right click on your desktop, and go to Settings. Set your screen saver to None, and never, then go to power settings, and set all of those to never as well.

I remember an issue from back in the Amiga days where LW would crash if you were rendering to a 44 MB Syquest, because those drives always spun down after 5 minutes or so. ( We wrote a patch called the "chicken patch" that ran in the background. It wrote the word chicken on the drive, then looked for the word chicken every 2 minutes. That was an easy fix, and kept the platter spinning during those 3 hour per frame renders! )

I'm wondering if this might be an issue of the Hard disk spinning down, or VT getting confused due to some other power saving measure.

Hope this helps.
Bob Anderson

IMPERIAL
02-02-2008, 05:50 AM
if you replaced the PSU from the original config... then this might be the problem... I had same problem, changed every single driver and PC part exept the PSU.. When I changed the PSU it worked with all other parts and drivers.
Still dont know what was the problem with the PSU since everything else was working fine.. all I noticed is that some function called FCP on the PSU was the problem. This is for VT2 and VT3 software with old 33MHz card.