PDA

View Full Version : Damn You A|w!!!

Lamont
07-11-2003, 09:15 AM
Ok, I wake up and this is the first thing I see on InsideCG.com:

Alias|Wavefront Level tools (http://www.aliaswavefront.com/en/Tmpl/Maya/html/index.jhtml?page=/en/Community/Download/plug_ins/maya_nt/leveltools/leveltools.html)

This REALLY sucks!!! I was working my ***** off creating prefabs level parts (corridors, doors, rooms, ect) and special effects.

Anyone has Maya and want to post what it actually does?

Oh, well, it's not gonna stop me, I am sure the LW mod people would love to get something like this.

Mylenium
07-11-2003, 12:07 PM
No need to be too excited. Even though I'm not a games person, I tested it and took a quick look at it. To me most of it looks like they just combined already existing tools into a new interface along with some added algorithms to maintain proportions and alignment of your cubicles plus the asset library. There seem to be no tools for testing interactivity - it's only about modelling. I really don't know about game design, so please forgive me if I'look incompetent. Just lately I gave "Enter the Matrix" only a try because of the topical relation to the movie and got bored after half an hour of "playing" it. It was the first game in about 2 years so you might get an idea.

Mylenium

Lamont
07-11-2003, 12:57 PM
Yeah, I know Jin has access to Maya so I am eger to see what he thinks.

Rei
07-11-2003, 03:22 PM
Worlcraft is better. i think people who need to use extra tools to make the levels shouldnt be making levels in the first place. (heh i was a prefab maker for HL...) www.prefabland.com

Lamont
07-11-2003, 03:31 PM
Well, a way to archive content, and have it accessable in an environment that is not as uninuitive as UnrealED is always a step in the right direction. Be the user is in Lightwave, 3DS Max or Maya... I can't stand UED.

Making a prefab library is great. How else can games like GTA and Everquest see the light of day?

i think people who need to use extra tools to make the levels shouldnt be making levels in the first place.That doesn't make any sense:D.

Being that you've made mods for HL, then you should know that there's TONS of prefabs in that game. Making real-time content and not considering it's re-usability is not a good choice.

Rei
07-12-2003, 04:42 AM
I never made a mod, i made 100s of prefabs (for people making mods that i thought shouldnt be because they needed to use prefabs)

Your right about UED, its nasty to use, the only thing i like about it is that it will waypoint the bots automatically, instead of me spending a day doing it by hand with HL. That would be its ONLY pluss though.

(incoherancy is my language)

cgolchert
07-12-2003, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by Rei
I never made a mod, i made 100s of prefabs (for people making mods that i thought shouldnt be because they needed to use prefabs)

That is almost like a crack dealer saying drugs are bad and people shouldn't use them. :)

meshmaster
07-15-2003, 09:10 AM
nuff said.

Lamont
07-15-2003, 09:11 AM
What about gmax?