PDA

View Full Version : H264 is working?

ted
01-23-2008, 09:49 PM
So what's up with this?
I just installed QT 7.4.0.91 Pro.
I brought a .mxf clip into SE and rendered it as a H264 .mov according to the properties.
I opened that in QT and it confirmed it was an H264 file.
I "Exported" that to a different H264 file out of QT Pro.
Brought that into SpeedEDIT and it played fine.

I thought this couldn't be done, or I misunderstood, or I got really lucky???

ScorpioProd
01-23-2008, 11:51 PM
You really shouldn't encode to H.264 multiple times on the same clip, Ted... ;)

Your experiement "almost" worked for me...

I've got QT 7.3, and again, AFAIK, Newtek doesn't use that as part of their QT support.

So anyway, I took some widescreen DV and rendered it to a H.264 .mov in SpeedEDIT.

The problem is, the H.264 encoding in SpeedEDIT has NO controls for bitrate and such, nothing like you can set in QT Pro 7 or other H.264 encoders, so I have no idea what it's aiming for in data rate, which really isn't very useful, IMHO.

The finished clip played fine in QT, but in 4:3 aspect. I put that clip in SpeedEDIT and it played correctly with 16:9 aspect, so somehow I guess aspect info isn't in there? Did you find that, also?

I then put it through QT 7.3 and encoded to another H.264. I played that, it was fine. I put it in SpeedEDIT, BAM! Instant crash on its H.264 decoding attempt.

So, mixed results here.

ted
01-24-2008, 10:17 AM
I wonder if something is easier in 7.4 for SE to utilize???

We've always rendered our files to QT from VT-SE as the large default file. Then open the QT file in QT Pro to create a smaller file to e-mail for client approval or to output to the specific need. But being able to drop an H264 file in SE is new as far as I can tell???

The QT Pro H264 file didn't bother SE except for a little more CPU useage on my Alienware laptop, but I also had QT Pro, Outlook, MS Word and SE running.
We don't do much 16 X 9 unless it's HD so we haven't checked on that yet.

Thanks Eugene for your input!

ScorpioProd
01-24-2008, 03:09 PM
I think the reading of H.264 is something that SpeedEDIT added, though I'm not sure when, though I know VT[4] couldn't do that.

As for what you're doing, wouldn't it be much quicker and higher quality to go out of VT-SE as something less compressed than H.264 to then put into QT for the small file? Maybe the QT DV codec, for instance? I would think that would be higher quality and a lot quicker to render.

ted
01-24-2008, 06:06 PM
Lots of ways to get there. I was just curious when and how it started working.
Heck, I'm not even up to 1.5.1 on this laptop.

I thought John would reply? :D
But maybe it's iffy depending on multiple factors and NewTek doesn't want to get all official about it. :D
But it's nice I have more options to work with.

billmi
01-25-2008, 06:47 AM
I've got QT 7.3, and again, AFAIK, Newtek doesn't use that as part of their QT support.

Which appears to be a good thing. I just saw a post in another forum mentioning that the latest QT update has DRM features that prevent it from working with NLEs as a side-effect.