PDA

View Full Version : csv2mot: convert a csv (text) file to a lightwave motion file

Exosphere3D
01-23-2008, 07:58 PM
hello lightwave friends,

right up front i'll mention i'm hoping to make a few dollars on my work here...

in my animation efforts, i often need to import data into lightwave. i'm speaking of data on the order of 500 keyframes and more, way beyond the possibility of doing it manually.

i originally used a crude Basic program to do this. it worked but i wanted a bit more and thought that if i made something nice for myself i could make a few bucks selling it to other lightwave users.

since i wrote that crude utility program about 3 years ago, i have come across various plugins that would perhaps help with this particular task. to be honest i don't have the link handy, but i know someone out there wrote a plugin (LScript) that would import a csv file...comma separated variable.

anyway, i thought a simple little .exe program would be a good idea. now i've learned how to use microsoft visual studio and i've written a program in visual basic to do the conversion of text files into lightwave motions. it is right now at about 50% of its final form but is soon ready for some "beta testers". i'd like to find a few people willing to try this out and give me some feedback.

i am attaching a screen capture to give a flavor of the program and what it will do. send a PM if you're particularly interested in a "beta" test!

happy rendering!

Exosphere3D
01-23-2008, 08:05 PM
the attachment doesn't seem to be part of the first post

MiniFireDragon
01-28-2008, 12:39 PM
Pretty cool. I have written a web applet that does the same thing using multiple x,y,z, rotations and time (allows you to select what columns do what) and retrieve up to 4 motion files at once in an email. I asked if anyone had any interest in using it and got 1 person asking a question and that was it.

I had written mine to originally take McHenry's Crash Simulation software csv outputs and translate them into motion files.

omichon
02-04-2008, 12:50 AM
No clear idea about the use of this tool right now, but for sure it's interesting to import some datas from some "unexpected" application :)

3Dswade
12-01-2016, 02:35 PM
Did you get this program to work cause I sure could use it!

ernpchan
12-01-2016, 09:49 PM
Did you get this program to work cause I sure could use it!

There are scripts and plugins that do this. I believe Sensei has one. On my site I have one that'll import the data into Modeler. From there you could save it to a motion file.