PDA

View Full Version : To upgrade, or not to upgrade?

dccpro
01-23-2008, 10:10 AM
I am starting a new project and have been considering upgrading Fprime3, and HD instance (64).
Is Fprime64 buggy, work well with nodes, and worth it?
Same for HD instance?

I have been putting these 2 upgrades off for a while now, because of unsertenty of LWs future, but they will make this job much easier.

any help would be great!

Phil
01-24-2008, 12:36 AM
HDinstance is worth it in every sense. No hesistation there, at all. And the newer version also renders faster than previous versions, supports nodes, etc. It's all good.

FPrime is much more of a mixed bag. It doesn't work with all nodes, it doesn't reproduce LW's radiosity changes, it doesn't handle volumetrics at all well (basically only HV3 appears to be supported, and not for previewing - just for rendering. I've not tried it with HDInstance, though - I could run a quick test later today, if that is helpful).
It also doesn't handle pixel filter or image filter effects, which sucks. It is, though, faster in some situations and appears to be capable of producing a stable GI solution (unlike LW). If you view FPrime as a (limited) previewer, you'll be a lot happier in what you get out of it.

dccpro
01-24-2008, 02:00 AM
Thanks for your reply.
Fprime will be used only for previewing and for baking with the bake camera.
HD instance is great I have the 32 bit version now, but it kinda angers me to have to put out more $ for the 64 bit version, but I will. I also noticed that v2 will be out soon and I would hate to have to buy that too.

Phil
01-24-2008, 03:34 AM
Hmmm? You have to pay for the 64-bit version of HDI? I was under the impression that, like most developers, you get all versions for a single license fee.

Qexit
01-24-2008, 07:32 AM
I am starting a new project and have been considering upgrading Fprime3, and HD instance (64).
Is Fprime64 buggy, work well with nodes, and worth it?
Do you already have FPrime3 or are you upgrading from FPrime2.X ? If you already have FPrime3 then you get the 64bit version included as part of the deal, so no extra cost involved you just need to get the download.

dccpro
01-24-2008, 07:47 AM
No, I have Fprime 2.
I believe you have to buy both versions of hd instance:thumbsdow
and I know there is an upgrade coming soom. I would hate to have to buy that too!
If anyone nows the deal with this, please chime in.

Phil
01-24-2008, 11:07 AM
Ping Graham at happy digital. He'll clarify. Worley provides all platforms for a single license fee, so you're good to go there.