PDA

View Full Version : TV[5] Crashes (Forced back to VT[4])

m4a2000
01-22-2008, 08:04 PM
OK... I've had many problems and have done everything I can think of to slove them(and they have been sloved), but this problem has made it where my boss wants us to go back to VT[4]. Problem:

CG Player/ CG D crashes VT[5] if apart of a studio recall. A studio recall without CG P/D works fine and has no problems. This problem accurse on Windows XP 64X and Windows XP. The NVIDIA drivers are up-to-date on both installs, both installs are clean, full formatted, installs. Both Windows installs have all current updates done on their own partitions. All the hardware worked fine with VT[4] and all of it checked out for VT[5].

I'll be calling tech support again tomorrow... When I first called them I had only tried VT[5] on XP X64... They told me they would have to send the problem to the Engineering Department. Any input is welcomed!

Gordon
02-01-2008, 01:42 PM
What do you mean by "a studio recall"? Are you talking about "loading a saved desktop" also known as "loading a saved module configuration"?

If it is the module configuration loading that is causing the crash and if it is a bug in VT[5] software, then it seems like loading a configuration that doesn't have the CG P/D and then manually loading the CG P/D afterwards would be a better choice that reverting to VT[4]. It's not that hard to hit the "Esc" key, and select CG Player or CG Designer separately so I wouldn't make it into a show stopper.

If by a "studio recall" you mean loading a CG project then this is fixable but will take a bit of time - depending on how many pages you have in the CG project.

My experience is that the CG Player/Designer will crash if it has one or more pages that it doesn't like. Most often this means recreating the problem page from scratch is the best solution for a stable CG system. If you have a CG project with a lot of pages, then you have to start testing them one at a time. Load page, save as project, see if the project loads - then move on to the next page.

m4a2000
02-02-2008, 05:41 PM
What do you mean by "a studio recall"? Are you talking about "loading a saved desktop" also known as "loading a saved module configuration"?

If it is the module configuration loading that is causing the crash and if it is a bug in VT[5] software, then it seems like loading a configuration that doesn't have the CG P/D and then manually loading the CG P/D afterwards would be a better choice that reverting to VT[4]. It's not that hard to hit the "Esc" key, and select CG Player or CG Designer separately so I wouldn't make it into a show stopper.

If by a "studio recall" you mean loading a CG project then this is fixable but will take a bit of time - depending on how many pages you have in the CG project.

My experience is that the CG Player/Designer will crash if it has one or more pages that it doesn't like. Most often this means recreating the problem page from scratch is the best solution for a stable CG system. If you have a CG project with a lot of pages, then you have to start testing them one at a time. Load page, save as project, see if the project loads - then move on to the next page.
It was the "loading a saved desktop". I called NewTek about a week or so ago about the problem... Called them back yesterday and they said that they were able to recreate the problem and should have it solved soon. The problem didn't happen as much on the XP Pro install, but the students also stopped adding CG Player to the load save. For now we can live with it...

Next problem: Video card looks like it might die... I hate my luck...

tmon
02-11-2008, 04:31 PM
For whatever reason, I've been having trouble with a VT5 upgrade on one of our 3 VT workstations at work. I'm still trying to narrow down what it is that is going on, but I have some working theories, including these below. If anyone can prove these wrong or add others, please do so.

1. If you have projects from 4.6 that used files mapped to volumes that are not immediately seen by VT5, you might get a crash.

2. If you have projects from 4.6 that are using plugins that are no longer available, you can get a crash.

3. If you have a conflict in Prefs somewhere (e.g. drive mappings for the video cache has changed, or if you have leftover cach files) this might cause a crash.

4. None of the above applies to certain 4.6 projects I have. Maybe it's a CG issue - i.e. that the 4.6 CG source files are causing a problem?

At least I'm at the point where if I build a new project from the ground up in the VT5 environment, I'm OK.

Knock on wood.

Jonu
02-11-2008, 11:56 PM
CG Player/ CG D crashes VT[5] if apart of a studio recall. A studio recall without CG P/D works fine and has no problems. This problem accurse on Windows XP 64X and Windows XP. The NVIDIA drivers are up-to-date on both installs, both installs are clean, full formatted, installs. Both Windows installs have all current updates done on their own partitions. All the hardware worked fine with VT[4] and all of it checked out for VT[5].

:agree: Same situation, the difference is that we have one OS per boot drive. :mad: Crashing VT[5].. ("Loading..."++). And if I'm lucky it just give the "Can't load script".. alert. press OK and everything previously loaded inside CG Player is gone. CG Designer will "do it" occasionally but CG Player will "do it" regularly when you recall a previously stored layout. XP32, XP64, Vista64.. all covered.

My solution, avoid storing layout with CG player or CG designer.
My advise, Bug it! :D

Gordon
02-13-2008, 09:01 PM
For whatever reason, I've been having trouble with a VT5 upgrade on one of our 3 VT workstations at work. I'm still trying to narrow down what it is that is going on, but I have some working theories, including these below. If anyone can prove these wrong or add others, please do so.

1. If you have projects from 4.6 that used files mapped to volumes that are not immediately seen by VT5, you might get a crash.

At least I'm at the point where if I build a new project from the ground up in the VT5 environment, I'm OK.

Good list. I can vouch for the first one for sure. For example, if Windows can't find a networked drive, all windows applications that reference that drive will wait for about 60 seconds for the drive to come on-line before giving up. This is true for networked as well as removable drives. In fact even if removed drives are added back in, the drive letter may have changed and Windows will still look for the old drive letter for 60 seconds and the system will seem froze.

m4a2000
02-21-2008, 02:35 PM
Good news is we're not going to have to go back to VT4.6, but with the video card dieing we've had some more problems that luckly we can live with. The current cards is causing problems with the Video Monitors and the normal XP desktop. From what I can tell the buffer on the card has the problem. We ordered a GeForce 8800 GTX for a replacement... A big jump from the GeForce 7300 we're currently using.

I just hope all these problems stop after the hardware switch and the bug fix from NewTek... My boss is about to take a slughammer to the system if it has one more problem...

tmon
02-22-2008, 12:06 AM
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76668&page=2