PDA

View Full Version : Cylindrical mapping ...

Thomas M.
01-22-2008, 03:04 PM
... withou going the whole 360. Never thought much about it, but is there a way to just map an image around a cylinder for a 60 angle e.g.? I have a few labels which need to be attached to wine bottles. Wouldn't like to add all this extra space in PS and map it around the whole bottle. As there's no information in this case on the backside angles differ between 90 and 60 of covered space. Should be pretty simple, but I got the feeling it's not possible in LW.

Any ideas?

Cheers
Thomas

Dodgy
01-22-2008, 04:44 PM
Use a UV map...

markschum
01-22-2008, 05:17 PM
you could always just create a surface for the label part of the cylinder .

Surrealist.
01-22-2008, 06:47 PM
... Wouldn't like to add all this extra space in PS and map it around the whole bottle. As there's no information in this case on the backside angles differ between 90 and 60 of covered space. Should be pretty simple, but I got the feeling it's not possible in LW.

Even if you could using a cylindrical map, you'd find it much easier and faster to use UVs. It is not that hard to do.

Surrealist.
01-22-2008, 06:48 PM
you could always just create a surface for the label part of the cylinder .

Yes that would work too, but UV mapping is much better all around.

Thomas M.
01-23-2008, 12:46 AM
The UV map will rise the same problems. You need to know in advance how much of the bottle needs to be covered by the label. You can't move and scale the label easily for the best fit. I was hoping to find the flexibility of planar mapping (position, scale, rotation) with the cylindrical approach.

Shouldn't be that hard to include into a software these days ...

Sigh ...

Thanks anyway!
Thomas

Surrealist.
01-23-2008, 01:19 AM
To use UV maps it is really flexible if you know how it all works.

What you do is export it into photoshop - or other program - and position it there. You put the mesh reverence in the background and using that put the labels where they need to be. Once mapped it sticks to the mesh.

If you want to tweak the position of it in real time - and see the results - you can do that in modeler by simply moving or sizing the map with the image applied in the surface editor to the surface/UV map you are adjusting.

You can even have several parts of the mesh in pieces so you could position each label individually if you wanted.

For something as simple as applying a label this is pretty basic stuff.

Regarding the cylindrical map, if you could size it on the width of the object it would not be a cylindrical map. Cylinder = round connected end to end. The same with spherical maps.

For anything other than basic basic mapping these tools are not fit for the job.

And another thing you have forgotten about.

What about the slope of the wine bottle? How is the cylindrical map going to know the variation of width from the neck to the base? You will get distortion in your label.

For that you have to use some method of UV mapping.

UV maps are not that hard to do really. They are pretty simple. Trust me. Do a couple and you'll see the power and simplicity of it.

If you have any questions on the process I am sure there are many here willing to help.