PDA

View Full Version : Importing DXF/IGS issues...

cuse
07-11-2003, 05:55 AM
Hey,

A client has sent over dxf and igs files that i need to import into Lightwave, but when i try the dxf it comes in as a few points and nothing else?

Anyone know what i should do???

The igs just wont import. i dont think.

Lightwolf led me to to this thread (http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2300) but thats just left me a little more confused?

thanks

cuse

gjjackson
07-11-2003, 06:27 AM
You want to post a dxf file and I'll see if it works. I've imported quite a few dxf's and seems to work Ok.

spak
07-11-2003, 06:39 AM
ive also had lots of trouble trying to get .dxf fies to talk to lightwave.
both autoCAD dxfs and Microstation dxfs open into lightwave as a couple points a polygons. The layers import in fine, but there is no data on them?!?
the only way I can transfer 3d files from these CAD packages is to 'explode' the polygons and polylines into singular lines (2-point polygons in lightwave), and then export as a dxf. however this sucks, because then i have to go through the whole model and re-create the polygons from the wiremesh model. - very timeconsuming...

this whole process makes transferring lightwave files virtualy impossible.

does anyone know of any plugins or proceedures of transferring dxfs to and from lightwave? - i hope these compatability problems are resolved with LW8...

omeone
07-11-2003, 07:33 AM
To get Microstation V8 solids into modeler:

1. Tools>3DMain>3DUtility>construct facet, select objects and accept to execute.

2. then use the Drop tool and make sure "Solids" is checked and set to "to surfaces", select objects and accept to execute.

3. File>Save as...
Hit the options button, choose dxf version 11/12 and on the advanced tab. Close the options panel, choose directory and give it a file name.

4. Open modeler, open the exported file, perform a "Reduce Polygons" under the Construct tab.

Its generally a good idea, I find, to export/import each object seperately, also depending on how the Microstation geometry was constructed, will make a big difference - trial and error from that point on...

hth

omeone
07-11-2003, 07:36 AM
oh and yeah - iges wont import, that other thread was really about Solidworks to LW translations, Microstation will open iges files (naturally).

I just realised none of this will help because your client uses Intergraph? and you dont have / use Microstation... probably...
definitely not V8 cos they've ended Mac support on that release.

richpr
07-13-2003, 04:57 AM
You could look at converters like PolyTrans... see if it does the job, it might be worth the investment if you need to do this regularly...

spak
07-13-2003, 07:14 PM
thanks OMEONE, yeah i do use microstation and your post was really helpful thanks. CUSE, hope this helped you out too