PDA

View Full Version : ...moving on to programming...

Karl Hansson
07-11-2003, 06:54 AM
Hello all Ive been doing lscript for a while and I've been thinking of giving real programming a shot. I would like to learn C/C++ in order to write plug-ins for LW and possebly other apps. Where do I start? I need a learning edition programing software like metrowerks codewarrior learning edition, is there any other better way to learn programming? Any other tips?

Lynx3d
07-11-2003, 08:34 AM
Well for Lightwave Plugins you really just need a (good) text editor and a C compiler.
Don't really need a full-blown developement tool with interface designer and stuff, you won't use it anyway...but i guess having it didn't hurt anyone either :D

I'm currently using Dev-C++ it's freeware, with MinGW (or Cygwin) compiler.
I also like UltraEdit for a little better editing, although it's more a general purpose editor.

How to start C(++) programming...i guess the best way still is a good book. But actually i don't have one myself, just the stuff they tought us a university (pretty sparse, just enough to do the C course) and learned from searching the net, and of course reading lots of the LW SDK sample files.

You might also look at Thinking in C++ (http://mindview.net/Books/TICPP/ThinkingInCPP2e.html)
I've downloaded it but haven't really read much of it, i'd need to print it. But i think this really is about object oriented programming, and not about learning C.

TyVole
07-11-2003, 10:40 AM
Get a copy of The C Programming Language by Kerrnigan & Ritchie (affectionately called "K&R"), available just about everywhere, including many libraries. It's not only the best book about C programming, but the best book about programming I've ever read.

TerryFord
07-12-2003, 06:28 AM
One big advantage of a full commercial development suite is the syntax checking and online help. Although Microsofts products are pretty expensive if you just want to dabble, you might be able to pick up a cheapish v6.0 on ebay. Later MSVS versions seem extremely bloated, on the rare occasions when I need to code something I use my ancient MSVC v4.

This is assuming you're on a PC, dunno what Mac users compile with...

There's a LightWave programming Yahoo group here (For the SDK, not lscripts), that's usually a good source for help if you get stuck;
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/lw-plugin/

Regards,
Terry

Karl Hansson
07-12-2003, 09:16 AM
Thanks guys. I'm on mac but I will probably buy a PC this fall. I would of course like to program for both PC and Mac.

stib
07-30-2003, 09:59 PM
You've got a mac? If you're running OSX you've already got a C compiler. It's called gcc and it lives in a terminal window near you. Open up the terminal and type man gcc.

Don't send money now! But wait there's more!

If that sort of lean and mean console based thing isn't for you, and you have the Developer Tools CD that came with your OSX system software, you have a very phat IDE (integrated development environment) right there. Look for the Project Builder application. It's a professional level software development tool with HEAPS of documentation and tutorials. and it's free! Developer tools are also available as a download from apple (about 200M so I'm thinking broadband only, although I did download a copy at work before they got the DSL going. Took me a month of staying back late tho ;] ).

Dangerman
08-01-2003, 03:35 PM
If you want to learn C++ programming, I suggest you -=DON'T=- start with C. New programmers have a much easier time with Object Orinted programming if they start with Object oriented programming.
In the end, you'll be able to write C code, but a C programmer has much to learn and unlearn before they can write C++.

Karl Hansson
08-01-2003, 03:40 PM
Thanks for the tips guys.
Stib thats very interesting I'm going to look closer at those things.

Dangerman
08-01-2003, 03:45 PM
The notion of using GCC is a very valid one. Though it's freeware, it's a wold class compiler. Many freeware utilities support it, and it's cross platform, available for Win, Mac, Linux, Alpha, Sun, IBM ... etc.
Excellent choice.

stib
08-03-2003, 07:10 PM
The native language of the Cocoa Framework is a language called Objective-C. This is an object oriented superset of C. So you can learn an object oriented C on the mac. You can also work in C++ or Java if you druther.