PDA

View Full Version : flexible hose

Otterman
01-22-2008, 04:18 AM
I essentialy got a rubber pipe that flexes between two moveable ends-see attached files. Ive played around with bones, weightmaps and cloth dynamics but still cant get the desired results.

William Vaughans excellent tut on this goes along way but i still cant get it working-

ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/movies/w3dw/hose.mov

Any ideas on how to approach this would b fab i would love to nail this one down!

Darth Mole
01-22-2008, 07:55 AM
Worley's Hoser plug-in (part of the Taft suite) was purely designed for such a task.

http://www.worley.com/E/Products/taft/hoser.html

It'll cost you 102 using today's exchange rate. The other plug-ins are pretty useful too, though.

Darth Mole
01-22-2008, 07:58 AM
Alternatively, a cheap cheat would be to model the hose precisely the shape you need at one extreme, add a morph map, model it at the other extreme and then just keyframe between the two morphs. Given the limited extent of your animation, this should be enough to do the job, I would have thought.

Steamthrower
01-22-2008, 08:08 AM
I did something exactly like this a while back (industrial machine, flex steel hose). I ended up using a form of this IK chain (attached). I can't remember from whom I originally got the thing, from someone on these boards - all I know is that I didn't make it.

Hope this helps. Worked pretty well for me.

ramccombe
01-22-2008, 08:17 AM
Here is a tut buy Larry Shultz aka "The Spline God". Hope this helps.
http://www.3dtrainingonline.com/examples/dog_leash.mov:thumbsup:

ramccombe
01-22-2008, 08:19 AM
I got this link from the forum but it doesn't seem to work. I have a copy of the vid I'll try to post it when I have some more time.:cursin:

Otterman
01-22-2008, 09:12 AM
Oh joy....i thought no one loved me for a moment there. Gee thanx for the direction guys.

Clever Worley-sounds perfect except i gotta wait for em to catch up to UB:thumbsdow

IK-n bones are orid things but i think i gotta wrestle wiv em unless i go the morph route-never considered that-ta DMole:thumbsup:

Indigo, i came across that n totally forgot about it, thanks for dragn me 2 it again:thumbsup:

Ramccombe-thanks for this as well, here a working Larry link-
http://www.3dtrainingonline.com/examples/dog_leash.mov

I got some investigating to do-TA! Will post me findings n share wiv the community:D

adamredwoods
01-22-2008, 01:44 PM
Another essential tip in dealing with IK bone chains, is to put some damping on the channel that isn't the main axis-- ie. put damping on the Heading axis for all bones if you want the Pitch to be the main bending axis.

Steamthrower
01-22-2008, 01:50 PM
Oh joy....i thought no one loved me for a moment there. Gee thanx for the direction guys.
Honest. We still love you.

Indigo, i came across that n totally forgot about it, thanks for dragn me 2 it again
I hate using bones for that stuff too...but it was really the most straightforward way I found. It's not like the hose movement needs to be particularly accurate anyway...it's just a hose. That's what makes it so frustrating when it's so hard to rig, for something so simple.