PDA

View Full Version : laptop hookup?

David in TN
01-21-2008, 06:33 PM
I want to stream some computer docs in a live presentation, but for what I can tell you use an ethernet cable to hook up the tricaster and the laptop. Problem is there is only one ethernet connection on the tricaster. So how do I go from laptop to tricaster studio to live streaming.....thanks

MrMark501
01-21-2008, 07:36 PM
I bought an inexpensive 5 port switch. I connect the laptop, tricaster and the internet connection to the switch and wa-la. Still to slow to show video from the laptop, but I've been able to do that with a firewire cable. Search the forum for more on that.

David in TN
01-21-2008, 07:44 PM
mark...basically a router? Is that all I need? I have a d-link router that I'm not using, would that work? thanks

MrMark501
01-22-2008, 06:11 AM
Yes, a router should work fine as well. The point I was trying to make was that you don't want a hub because as I understand it, the bandwidth is split among all the connections and it slows things down. With a switch or a router, the full bandwidth is constantly being re-directed to each connection so all connections run at full speed. I also inderstand that if it's a wireless router, it can be used to receive from wireless input to the tricaster although, I haven't tried it. I think I remember reading a thread that explained this in more detail.