PDA

View Full Version : This could be art: Infantile Abstractions

theo
01-21-2008, 04:27 PM
The one-year old female child here has been producing abstractions in a rather odd media.

The 'canvas' for her artistic expression is glass at... nose-level. Namely, the clear panes housed within our fine french doors facing the enchanted wood out back.

See, she has been teething. And, as is the case with the more prolific teething stages, several teeth within a couple of weeks will gradually ease their ivory selves into appointed places on a sore and swollen gum line.

The prolific teething stage produces a byproduct typically referred to as 'snot'.

The 'snot', for a space of time, seems to flow with an almost supernatural vigor. A steady stream of nose goo that can become a source of inspiration... for a... person... that is not bound, shall we say, with adult red tape?

Yes, the canvas of glass sings with inspired snot.

The process is almost genius.

The miniature female human applies this special medium with liberal abandon by vigorously rubbing her effervescing nose all over the 'canvas'.

I see her then tentatively peer at the smear with reflection coupled with just the right amount of consternation. The internal workings just seem to imbue her little mind a distinct desire to create.

And she does... the little fingers poke deep into the snot scrawling here and there, pushing and prodding the fine, glittering sheen into a wondrous crosshatch.

A temporary crosshatch, that is. For you see, while the child was spontaneously erecting her spatial visions a new goo rivulet had crept out, unassumingly, from the dark recesses of her perky nose and has reached the crest of her upper lip and is juuust starting to tip over and down, down, down...smooooosshsh... yes, a new work now commences.

Where in the heck is that box of tissues?! This chick's done painted a mural on my french doors in SNOT.

StereoMike
01-21-2008, 05:45 PM
Great! But where are the pictures?
My girl is one year old aswell. She hasn't any teeth yet, so thanks for the heads up. Didn't knew about the snot (heard about saliva only). Will have to get more glass planes...

mike

theo
01-21-2008, 06:49 PM
Ok Stereo, now I just gotta figure out how to photograph semi-transparent snot on glass.

If I can imprison a good shot I'll post the 'art'.

Typically, many kids do snot up pretty heavily if they have several teeth coming in over a few weeks. But this isn't a set thing. Your little one may just run a high fever for a couple of days and drop nary a booger.

Savanna just birthed four teeth in the last four weeks which resulted in her entering into the sedated hobgoblin stage. We do what we can with tylenol/orajel/rollercoasters/movies/bull-riding and so on to relieve her discomfort without morphing her into a miniature dopamine addict. :D

StereoMike
01-21-2008, 07:50 PM
Uh, yay - I'm looking forward to her getting teeth...
And I just got used to peace and fun... ah well, there will be a time after getting teeth...

Weepul
01-21-2008, 09:29 PM
Ok Stereo, now I just gotta figure out how to photograph semi-transparent snot on glass.

If I can imprison a good shot I'll post the 'art'.
Wait until nighttime then try backlighting it from a 45 degree angle or so with a nice bright light. Photograph it with the light out of the frame - the media should scatter the light and appear to be glowing.

If you want it black on white, just invert the image after capture.

:goodluck:
:ohmy: