PDA

View Full Version : Selecting polys/vertices slooooow

freedik
07-11-2003, 03:43 AM
Hi.

When I try to select some polys or vertices in rather simple object, it takes a lot of time. Feels like I'm on 386(actually p4 2.4ghz, only 256 MB RAM though :S).

Example:
Total polys in model only around 1000
Lasso selecting ~30 polys takes 1-2 seconds,
selecting ~100 polys takes about 5 seconds.
selecting all polys - eek! around minute I think.

I don't think LW-s perfomance is supposed to be so low.
What could be wrong?

Graphics card is nothing special, Matrox G550 DualHead, I don't really know it's specs. Maybe it's even built on motherboard, lol.

Mylenium
07-11-2003, 03:53 AM
Haha, gotcha! Really, it's your graphics card. Since it doesn't support OpenGL, it is dead slow (on these older Matrox cards OpenGL is software emulated). Try to get yourself an NVidia or ATI card - even the oldest and cheapest one will be much better than anything from Matrox.

Mylenium

freedik
07-11-2003, 04:17 AM
I'm not an expert but doesn't graphix card only mostly improve displaying perfomance? Or does LW use cards resources for calculations as well?
I set my graphix mode to 16 bit 800X600 and made LW as small as possible, but it didn't seem to help (usually I'm on 1280x960 mode behind 21'' monitor).

Using single viewport seems to make it faster. Ugh, I guess I just have to wait until I get a better gfx card.

thx.

Trulsi
07-11-2003, 04:32 AM
Well the G550 is not really very old, but I don't know about the OpenGL support. I used to run 3DSMAX with a G450 and it didn't slow it down this much. Never tried it with lightwave though. Have you tried a good format and re-install of everything?

Mylenium
07-11-2003, 04:48 AM
Re-installing drivers will not improve anything, I'm afraid. I really can confirm this since it even is the same here at our company. On a machine we normally use for video editing I also installed LW (for rendering, since this machine is a dual Xeon power horse) but you cannot decently work with Modeler because of that G 550. In Layout it is not so noticable but even there is slowdown.

As for MAX: I think there you could use HEIDI which did most of it's drawing using the CPU so on a fast system you wouldn't notice much of a slowdown.

Mylenium

Trulsi
07-11-2003, 05:15 AM
Yep that's true, I probably didn't use OpenGL with max. Anyway I didn't mean reinstalling the drivers, but the whole thing. Still, judging from you experience the best thing would probably be to get a new graphics-card.

papou
07-12-2003, 06:59 AM
I confirm, Card is the problem.

freedik
07-12-2003, 07:01 AM
Originally posted by Mylenium
Try to get yourself an NVidia or ATI card - even the oldest and cheapest one will be much better than anything from Matrox.

Mylenium

Now I'm trying with Ati rage 128 Pro with 32 MB memory. Its just as slow :S

Is there anything in lightwave, directx or card settings that I can change to improve perfomance?
I can't afford just buying a new card atm.