PDA

View Full Version : Cutlines on a car!

sean hargreaves
01-20-2008, 05:04 PM
Hi guys,
How do I make cutlines on a car to show where fenders join the body or to show where the door is?

Sean

Hopper
01-20-2008, 06:41 PM
I used splines in the background (2 in parallel) and stenciled them. Worked quite well.

sean hargreaves
01-20-2008, 06:58 PM
Thanks Hopperz, but I want to model them.

There are all these car modellers out there, someone must have a tip.

OOZZEE
01-20-2008, 07:30 PM
sean - hopperz is telling you how to model them.

stencil the grooves and then you can modify them like you like.

or make separate pieces and move them close together.

sean hargreaves
01-20-2008, 07:44 PM
Oozee, stencilling isnt modelling (or am I missing something?), I need to be able to have the edges receive light, I need to have the edges bevelled.

WilliamVaughan
01-20-2008, 07:51 PM
you are missing the message a bit. Stencil is a modeling function.

Solid Drill and Drill have the ability to cut into geometry...stencil is one of the slicing tools.

sean hargreaves
01-20-2008, 08:01 PM
Hi William, i tried to send you a message today but your private message box is full.
Can you please tell me how to do it?

sean hargreaves
01-20-2008, 08:02 PM
Cutline i mean. Do I do it with splines, and if so, how?

WilliamVaughan
01-20-2008, 08:41 PM
here is a video I did on Drill and Solid Drill:
ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/movies/w3dw/Drill.mov

You dont have to use these tho.

You could edge bevel a segment, then use a cut tool like connect or cut or bandsaw to create a new segment giving you 3 segments to work with. take the middle one and pull it in. easy seam

WilliamVaughan
01-20-2008, 08:44 PM
connect tool in action:
ftp://ftp.newtek.com/products/LightWave/Videos/Connect.mov

edge bevel in action:
ftp://ftp.newtek.com/products/LightWave/Videos/Edges.mov

Surrealist.
01-20-2008, 09:01 PM
(EDIT: Exactly as William points out)

Taking this over from the other thread:

Modeling the creases by hand if with subpatches by putting control loops near the edge and make a small microlevel. Basically the same thing for a poly model with a different approach of course.

or,

If you have a solid object with no modeled doors, create a UV map and draw lines in a paint program where you want the seems then blur the lines. Map the image using the UV map to create bump and/or displacement.

Stenciling is a good idea as well.

If you stencil, basically that would give you edges you could then use to extrude in on to create the crease.

But the bottom line is, how are you going to model it?

Lewis has great tutorials on cars for subpatches.

A "microbevel" is just a small (micro) edge (bevel) that will catch light. You can create it for a poly model or a subD model but with different techniques.
Stencil can create similar effect if you extrude in.

In SubD basically you are creating edge loops (or control edges) close to one another. These can be used to create a crease.

Here is a SUbD version:

Hopper
01-20-2008, 09:19 PM
Sorry for the confusion. I made an assumption that Sean knew what I meant by the term Stencil. I can see where you could misinterpret that as "use a texture, or image stencil" like a sticker. Oddly enough, the only reason I made the assumption was the post count. I figured with 400+ forum posts, it would be condescending of me to explain the Drill/Stencil tool. Once again, my appologies.

WilliamVaughan
01-20-2008, 09:43 PM
what a great thread...lots of meat in the responses here...thanx guys!

JeffrySG
01-20-2008, 10:10 PM
Lewis has great tutorials on cars for subpatches.
Richard, can you direct me to those car tutorials in subd? I'm not sure who Lewis is. Cheers!
J

Surrealist.
01-20-2008, 10:38 PM
Sorry,

The reason all I said was Lewis is because he is known for his car tutorials and all you have to do is Google his name with car tutorial or LightWave and you find something.

Here's one link (http://www.cgindia.org/2006/03/lightwave-3d-tutorial-modeling-99.html).

Also you could search here too and find lots just on his name I am sure as he is mentioned often. Very often find him in WIP as well. (oh and that is his forum handle BTW)

Sorry for any confusion. :)

colkai
01-21-2008, 02:26 AM
You could also do a lot worse than pick up the Kurv Car DVDs for building the Chevy SSR. They are very informative and clear to follow.
Highly recommended for anyone wanting to get to grips with car modelling.

JeffrySG
01-21-2008, 08:48 AM
Thanks for the info guys :) ... I'll do some searches for the car tutorials. I think that one link was dead as it linked back to the old lw3d forums. I'm sure I'll be able to find some stuff though.

Ztreem
01-21-2008, 08:55 AM
OT: With a NURBS modeler it's easy to make cut lines without destroying the curvature of the underlying geometry, but LW doesn't support NURBS surfaces. Sorry for not helping and only nag about my NURBS all the time, but maybe NT sees it and implement it just to get me to shut up. :D

JeffrySG
01-21-2008, 09:28 AM
Well... it's not the Lewis tutorial but I found this one so far...

http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/tutorials/modeling/car/index.html

JeffrySG
01-21-2008, 09:48 AM
and this:
http://jsanimation.50webs.com/carmodel.htm

CAClark
01-21-2008, 09:55 AM
I personally take the route of modelling the car as it is built, so I model the panels individually rather than trying to cut them in afterward. Works fo rme , but like most things (and acrs are no different) there are different ways to get the same result, you just gotta find the one that suites you best.

Cheers!

Mitja
01-21-2008, 10:52 AM
I personally take the route of modelling the car as it is built, so I model the panels individually rather than trying to cut them in afterward
Totally agree. If you cut the panels you have to freeze the geometry, which is bad! I tried this kind of modeling and is not effective. Anyway I don't like modeling with splines, I go with the extender-move combination. I tried splines but it was too confusing... I shall retry!

Hopper
01-21-2008, 11:13 AM
Well... it's not the Lewis tutorial but I found this one so far...

http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/tutorials/modeling/car/index.html
If you plan to follow that one as described in the tutorial, don't make the same mistake I did and accidentally leave CC on instead of switching to SubD. It didn't make that much of a difference until I got to the tail lights. Not being extremely familiar with subpatch modeling, it pretty much ended that model for me. I tried and tried and could never recover it. Most of you guys would laugh at what I got stuck on, and could probably correct it in 30 seconds or less, but after that and the whole edge weight debacle (bug) I got totally frustrated and put it away.

sean hargreaves
01-21-2008, 11:18 AM
Hi guys, thanks a lot for all the responses and help, very much appreciated. Hopperz, never assume anything.....yes I have over 400 posts but it does'nt mean I know what I'm doing...ha ha! Some things I'm great at , other things its like pulling teeth. :D

Hopper
01-21-2008, 11:26 AM
yes I have over 400 posts but it does'nt mean I know what I'm doing...ha ha! Some things I'm great at , other things its like pulling teeth. :D
Ahhh .. you must be in the same club I'm in then! Cheers! :)

JeffrySG
01-21-2008, 11:50 AM
Lewis' car tutorial should be back up at Foundation in a month or so... just fyi.

http://www.foundation3d.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1208

Surrealist.
01-21-2008, 12:53 PM
Forum Link 1 (http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78909&highlight=Lewis+Car)

Forum Link 2 (http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69256&highlight=Lewis+Car)

Forum Link 3 (http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56090&highlight=Lewis+Car)

So you can search for more things and maybe you'll find some more of his responses and examples that may help.

Unfortunately the car tut links are dead alright. Sorry for that.

JeffrySG
01-21-2008, 02:07 PM
Thanks again Richard!

I found this tutorial as well:
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=43&t=156460&page=1&pp=15

JeffrySG
01-21-2008, 02:22 PM
and this page has some good tuts (mostly in max I think but will still work for LW)

http://www.onnovanbraam.com/index.php?tutorials/

Surrealist.
01-21-2008, 02:30 PM
Great, thanks for those links. :)

Surrealist.
01-21-2008, 02:33 PM
Rats! Sorry about that second link above. That was the best one.

Here is is again. (http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69256&highlight=Lewis+Car)

My search was : Lewis Car

Imatk
01-22-2008, 10:09 AM
I would say there are plenty of good answers here.

Like Craig wrote, I model cars in pieces as they are built. It's easier for me to focus on the smaller pieces that make up the larger piece.

Surrealist.
01-22-2008, 12:46 PM
I also agree on the concept of building cars that way. In the interest of flexibility let's take a look at various ways to add detail depending on the needs, (polygon economy) time constraints and so on of the the job. (not to mention the talent, experience and preferences of the one doing it)

The way I have it, in brief summary they are:

1. Model the car as built

Polyginal: Using spline patching, freezing/trippling/subdivision.

In this method a micro bevel could be added (prior to freezing) to the edges of the doors and panels using a variety of methods:

-Rounder tool
-Multishift
-Edge Bevel
-Extender plus

Subpatches: Using some form of either point to point (extender plus) or box modeling technique.

In this method a micro bevel could be added to the edges of the doors and panels during the modeling process by creating edge loops close together to form a lip that curls in for panels and for solid practicals that will be opened like the door or hood use the same technique to add a rounded edge to catch light. Extender plus or Multishift can be a help here as well. Bandsaw pro also comes in handy.

2. Add details to a solid body.

Briefly the two methods would be:

A) Add detail with geometry.
-stencil, boolean etc.

B) Add detail with image map
-use of UV mapping great for this

I may have missed something if so feel free to add or correct.

NOTE: Each one of these methods carries a certain amount of knowledge about the technique involved and the tools. This is only a brief overview.

donlimpio
02-04-2008, 03:44 AM
If the situation permits (meaning: if the seam does not need to wrap around too complex geometry) you'd be surprised how realistic a thin blurred black line in a bump map is. I do this all the time for the seam thing in molded plastic parts (for the line where two parts meet). It's a lot faster than modeling it, and if you combine it with some clever diffuse and/or reflection mapping with this line as an alpha it usually looks perfect.

Lewis
02-04-2008, 03:58 AM
Hi guys !

Yes Craig is right, it's best to build car as it's buit in real world. So each panel is separate part (select connected selects only one part and not anything other). There is numerous of ways to do that (liek Craig said he likes to build part by part) in LW and I personaly like to model whole car in one piece (for a start) - car body with basic shape (no detials) and then select/cut/paste each part (fender, doors, bumper....) into their own layers. Then you just select edge points of fender/door or whatever part and move them slightly to make 4-5mm opening/gap between panels. works nice for me all of these years.

As for my Cobra Mustang tutorial it's currently off line since LWG is closed but Bob (owner of LWG/F3D) will bring it back to F3D foundation3d) ASAP. I have 107MB PDF file of that tutorial but it's too big to upload so Bob will solve HTML and PDF versions.