PDA

View Full Version : Question for the New Yorkers....

Iain
01-20-2008, 02:52 PM
This is an appeal to any New Yorkers or veteran NY visitors as I'm going over in March for the first time and need suggestions for doing something a bit different.

In particular, I'm going to be at the IZOD Center to see a game on the Saturday night and wondered if it's worth staying in the vicinity for something to eat or should I just head back to the Central Park area as that's where my hotel is (The Hudson) and that's where I'll probably spend most of my time.

Any suggestions would be great as we're only there for 3 nights and don't want to get suckered into the tourist trail when something much more interesting could be around the corner.

Thanks in advance :thumbsup:

beverins
01-20-2008, 04:56 PM
Hey there!

1) Buy yourself a 3 or 5 day metrocard pass. Travel only by bus and subway - despite the negatives that it may have, it really is the only way to get around town without spending a fortune... and yes, walking is good too :-) The unlimited passes work quite well, the only caveat they have imposed is that the transfer time from bus to subway is a wait of around 18 minutes. i.e. - Get on a bus and then transfer to a train within 5 minutes is fine, but then if you want to transfer to another bus after that you have to wait around 18 minutes. They do this to prevent people from just buying one metrocard and letting their whole family in... though if you're not in a rush, the wait isnt that bad. ;-)

2) Chinatown has marvelous food, great prices. Noodle soups with roast pork or duck are marvelous and easy for the newbie to asian food. You can spend $15 and get completely full, the price of some restaurants' entrees in midtown. And it tastes great too.

3) take the M4 bus for a tour. Take it all the way to the last stop at the Cloisters at the tip of NYC and then back to tha last stop at 14th st. The cheapest tour of Manhattan there is. You will see pretty much every neighborhood from the rich to the poor. An added bonus is that on its return trip it will drive down 5th avenue and you can get out to see the Metropolitan Museum, Whitney and guggenheim. Lots of inspiration there for 3d artists :-) :-)

beverins
01-20-2008, 05:02 PM
You can only get unlimited metrocards from the kiosks in the subways, the people in the subway booths do not have the ability to help you with those.

http://www.hopstop.com/ is great to navigate the system if you have online access, or use googlemaps. If you don't have online access, maps are available at the subway booths - or they should, anyway. Unlike other subway maps I've seen, the MTA's map is actually somewhat to scale, so you can roughly judge distances.

beverins
01-20-2008, 05:06 PM
Going to Brooklyn is also worthwhile - the Williamsburg neigborhood and the DUMBO neighborhood are worthwhile for avant garde art. Williamsburg is on the L train's Bedford stop and DUMBO is right between the Brooklyn and Manhattan Bridges on the Brooklyn side of the river. You can take the Water Taxi there or take the subway to lower Brooklyn. If the cold weather doesn't frighten you, walking across the Brooklyn Bridge is also very interesting. The F train "York St" stop is one of the closest, there is also the A or C trains to lower Brooklyn.

MooseDog
01-20-2008, 10:21 PM
...I'm going to be at the IZOD Center to see a game on the Saturday night and wondered if it's worth staying in the vicinity ...

i saw that and said WTF, Izod Center??? Google helped me out quickly, it's the Meadowlands. quick answer: get there and back into the city as quickly as possible. The meadowlands sports complex was built out in the middle of a huge swamp in new jersey, there's literally nothing around it.

from the hudson hotel, just take a walk up columbus avenue or broadway. you won't be disappointed: lively neighborhood restos and bars. (my old 'hood)

if you're ambitious, beverins advice is spot on! as he obviously still lives there, it's been more than several years since i did.

Iain
01-21-2008, 01:17 AM
Brilliant!
Thanks Beverins, that's exactly the kind of local info I was looking for.:thumbsup:

Moosedog, I thought as much about getting back over again. Thanks for the advice :)

Matt
01-21-2008, 02:44 AM
Iain, try and go to the Hayden Planetarium it's awesome!

http://www.amnh.org/rose/haydenplanetarium.html

They have the world's most advanced star projector, the Zeiss Mark IX

Iain
01-21-2008, 02:56 AM
Cheers Matt.
That looks right up my street. Not sure if I could persuade the wife but then she's making me go to a basketball match (she used to play).

Matt
01-21-2008, 06:29 AM
Trust me, she'll love it!

JeffrySG
01-21-2008, 12:11 PM
if you're into learning a bit about the city, there are some great walking tours in the city as well... Big Onion has some great tours. The Hudson is a very cool hotel. They have two cool bars inside as well. One of them has the entire floor bottom lit.

http://www.bigonion.com/

If you're looking for some night life suggestions, let us know what you're into and we can throw some suggestions your way too!

www.mta.info
for subway maps and bus maps

Jeff

JeffrySG
01-21-2008, 12:18 PM
Also, here are a few sites that you can visit to find some things to do - restaurants, bars, clubs, museum, movies, plays, etc. They are both magazines, that you could probably pick up at a news stand once you get here too.

http://nymag.com/
http://www.timeout.com/newyork/

Iain
01-21-2008, 03:55 PM
Thanks Jeffry
Very useful stuff.

The Hudson does look great. I'm looking forward to it.

JeffrySG
01-21-2008, 10:22 PM
^yes, the Hudson is a very cool NYC hotel. It's an Ian Schrager designed hotel. When it's nice out they have an open terrace with beds outside that you can just lounge on and order expensive drinks. ;)

Matt
01-22-2008, 04:21 AM
I love New York! Had a great time there. People were friendly too (so long as you don't end up somewhere where you shouldn't!)

We did have one odd incident though, some guys on Times Square asked us for some cash, they didn't look homeless and we had the impression that once a wallet was produced they'd be off with it!

So we just replied with some British banter and they seemed to back off, I think they were intrigued with the accent or something!

:)

JeffrySG
01-22-2008, 11:21 AM
NYC is just about the safest large city in the US now. There are always homeless people around that will ask for money. My general rule of thumb here is to never give money to the homeless people directly. If I want to support them I can donate to one of the many shelters or food banks here.

mattclary
01-22-2008, 11:40 AM
Great advice Beverins! Not planning a trip there any time soon, but I will keep what you said in mind!

Iain
03-12-2008, 02:10 PM
Thanks for the tips guys.:thumbsup: Just packing my bags now :)

Silkrooster
03-12-2008, 02:21 PM
Have fun
Silk

Jim_C
03-12-2008, 02:41 PM
Get a little architecture guide book and take a self-made arch. tour.
Bring the camera.
Do not pass up the chance to check out the buildings the city has to offer.

http://www.greatbuildings.com/places/new_york_city.html

Philbert
03-13-2008, 12:54 AM
It's been a long time since I've been there (even though it's only 2 hrs away) but I recall that there was a bar practically next to FAO Schwartz (just around the nearest corner) that had a great red wine. I'm not much of a drinker but it was the tastiest I've ever had. I don't think they even had a variety either, just the house red wine. Actually last time I was there was at Times Square for New Years Eve 2000, that was awesome!