PDA

View Full Version : Foot-Switch LightWave :

pumeco
01-20-2008, 04:58 AM
I'm wondering if it's possible to either re-assign or MIDI-fy the right mouse button action. Id love to be able to press a foot-switch connected by MIDI, and have it do the same as doing a CTRL-SHIFT. Again, this is mainly because I hate keyboard shortcuts (I sit back from the keyboard). If this is not possible, then can a reversal be done; like assigning CTRL-SHIFT to the right mouse button, and so on?

In short, I'd ideally like to access the mouse menu without having to use a keyboard shortcut. I'd like the mouse menu on the right button, and enter on the center button.

bassmanjam
01-20-2008, 08:00 AM
I'm all for the foot-switch idea. It would be pretty intuitive especially for those drummers out there. You could get pretty fast. And it would be geeky in a good way.

Is this possible?

Snosrap
01-20-2008, 08:37 AM
You might want to try a Wacom. They've got programmable buttons on both sides of the the pad and long cords so you can sit back. Works pretty darn good for me anyway.

Cheers
Snosrap

pumeco
01-20-2008, 08:49 AM
@bassmanjam
lol

@Snosrap
I've got a WACOM, but I'm only using it for sketching.
It doesn't really feel like a substitute for buttons just yet, although I'll try that if all else fails.

Hopper
01-20-2008, 10:05 AM
You could do it quite easily with a compiled plugin (using the SDK). Use a standard MIDI library and plug it into the LW event handler.

I wrote an A/D driver for an EV-5 expression pedal to re-route to the standard keyboard event handler in Windows. I used it as my alternate fire system for playing Medal of Honor way back when. (This also works just as easily with a gaming pedal - and you don't have to write a driver for it.

If your mouse has extra buttons, but your driver doesn't support them , get a new driver. If they are active in the scan, you can manually assign them via the Registry. The location in the Registry will depend on what driver you are using.

pumeco
01-21-2008, 04:20 AM
Cheers, HopperZ.

That sounds a challenge to be honest, but damn neat idea all the same. Still, it looks like I'll be taking the new mouse option. Only thing that concerns me is that there's likely not enough pre-sales information on mice and their button abilities. I'll have to do a bit of reading-up on that one before I buy a fancy mouse. The last thing I want is to get one and discover there's only a few limited options available to the buttons.

BTW, any recommendations on 'very' customisable mice appreciated.

Safe Harbor
01-21-2008, 08:09 AM
I'm not sure about programming shortcuts to mice, but for anyone interested in a "foot mouse" we have one that's been fairly popular with LightWavers. From what I know about this one, you can program keyboard shortcuts to it.

http://www.sharbor.com/products/BILN5220001.html

Hopper
01-21-2008, 08:39 AM
I'm not sure about programming shortcuts to mice, but for anyone interested in a "foot mouse" we have one that's been fairly popular with LightWavers.
Oh that is TOTALLY cool! What a fantastic idea.

pumeco
01-21-2008, 11:42 AM
Indeed, now 'that' looks like exactly the sort of thing I'm after from initial impressions, perfect!

I'll read-up on it, though I'm never fond of ordering overseas (I'm in the UK). Thanks, Tiffani :thumbsup:

Safe Harbor
01-21-2008, 12:13 PM
I was very skeptical when we first brought this product in but they're selling really well! Shows you what I know... :thumbsup:

walfridson
01-21-2008, 02:10 PM
Got one of those midi-foot thing laying around in the basement, would be great to use it

jaymarks
01-21-2008, 02:21 PM
Even though you can't set mouse shortcuts in LW (that I know of), a Microsoft Intellipoint mouse (among others) will let you program app-specific functions to each button that override the standard click functions. It's invaluable.

Steamthrower
01-21-2008, 02:22 PM
copy...*stomp*...paste...*stomp*...delete...*kick* ...

That's like a productive stress ball.