PDA

View Full Version : AVCHD Situation

Speedmonk42
01-19-2008, 09:03 PM
One of my non techie friends decided to get all uppity and independant and went and bought himself a Canon HG-10. It only records in AVCHD and does NO standard def recording.

The software just doesn't work. Ulead I think it was. And searching net nothing really seems to play the damn files without being some kind of technical horror show.

He only has a P4 3.0. So I told him the best thing to do is to convert down to regular DV.

I looked at Sorenson Squeeze. Wow that thing is expensive....why?

Any other suggestions?

Short of scrapping the camera alltogether and getting a good DV Camera instead?

beverins
01-20-2008, 05:09 PM
One of my non techie friends decided to get all uppity and independant and went and bought himself a Canon HG-10. It only records in AVCHD and does NO standard def recording.

You will need to get either Pinnacle Studio or Sony Vegas somehow, those programs apparently read and convert AVCHD without a problem.

On a Mac you should be able to use IMovie and/or Final Cut.

ted
01-20-2008, 07:14 PM
One of my non techie friends decided to get all uppity and independant and went and bought himself a Canon HG-10.
Any other suggestions?

At least it was your friend and not you! :thumbsup:
People get in a hurry to jump on the "New Rage". But too often in this industry those rages turn into fads.

What was his reason for needing to go with this camera?
What was your opinion of the quality of the camera before and after compressing to AVCHD format?
The one we used last week as an overhead lipstic cam was less then impressive even before the shortcoming of the codec.

Speedmonk42
01-20-2008, 10:35 PM
He is kind of obsessed with the HD thing... And he wants to put it on YouTube.... so that gives you an idea.

I have not even seen the output yet. The software provided with the camera doesn't work. All the demo software cannot distribute the codec (WTF!?)

Apparently Sony Vegas will not use Canon AVCHD files....so.....

It seems like BS that they could sell this thing and you can't really use it.

Even if he gets Ulead or whatever..., what are the chances of a P4 3.0 even playing the files well, let alone editing them?

Hopper
01-26-2008, 01:54 PM
lol .. The term "HD" and "YouTube" should never be used in the same sentence. :)

T-Light
01-26-2008, 02:08 PM
Don't know if it's of any help, but I tried playing hd dv on my old p4 2.53, NO CHANCE. The machine needs to be pretty darn nippy just to decode them.

Didn't He try to download some samples from others with the camera to see if his machine was OK before He bought it? Sorry, daft question. :rolleyes:

Suppose all you can tell him is to keep checking canon for updates, although, I do think He needs a meatier machine.

adamredwoods
01-26-2008, 03:04 PM
DV/HDV/AVCHD to Flash video Tutorial:

http://eugenia.gnomefiles.org/2007/09/12/from-dvhdvavchd-to-flash-video/