PDA

View Full Version : Displacement based on particle dynamic motion?

serge
01-19-2008, 10:42 AM
Is there a way to have a particle's dynamic motion influence displacements? For example: the faster a particle moves, the more the geometry gets displaced.

I'm talking about dynamic movement and not about the particle "velocity" parameter. The Particle Info node doesn't have an output for this. I was wondering if there would be another way. :)

SplineGod
01-19-2008, 11:57 AM
Objects with clothfx applied will react to particles.

serge
01-19-2008, 12:43 PM
Objects with clothfx applied will react to particles.
Yes, but not in the way that I mean. :)

Take a look at the picture. What you see here are 3 particles displacing a simple mesh (no ClothFX, there's no collision going on). Now when I move the particles (i.e. by wind force) the displacement moves along with the particles. What I want is this: the displacement should only occur when the particles are moving. And the faster they move the larger (i.e. higher) the displacement.

adamredwoods
01-22-2008, 02:13 PM
Can you change particle size based on speed ? It seems you can do this with Hypervoxels, but not particles themselves.

serge
01-22-2008, 05:00 PM
I don't know if 'speed' is information that is stored somehow (I'm afraid not because I don't really see a difference on a ClothFX object if a particle drops on it with -10 or -20 gravity). But if it is, it would be nice if we could use this info for our nodal purposes. That would be a feature request then.

Otherwise, I was thinking maybe some nodal setup could determine the speed of a particle. Maybe something like measuring the distance of a particle between 2 frames.