PDA

View Full Version : Cloverfield

Dragonkwon
01-18-2008, 11:22 PM
Have you seen this movie? Is it just me or did this movie look like it was filmed by a six year old. This had to be the worst movie ever made in my opinion. Buyer beware it's not what you think so before you spend your money on it think twice.

Chris S. (Fez)
01-19-2008, 12:06 AM
Cloverfield is calculatingly bad in that the film is apparently composed exclusively of footage recovered from a camcorder which is wielded by a drunk "everyman." It conveniently serves to distance the director from his own directorial decisions. Very Chauceresque. Brilliant.

If only they had recovered the camcorder from Jessica Alba's trailer...

While I appreciate the technical achievements, I also hated the movie. I have never seen an audience leave a theatre so generally dissatisfied.

If anyone does decide check it out, don't forget the dramamine and sit as far from the screen as you can. I was forced to sit in the front and am still nauseated. A number of women walked out half an hour in due to motion sickness.

* Oh, and just so you can be the first to yell "Khan!!!!!", there IS a cool Star Trek teaser complete with Nimoy voice-over.

Whelkn
01-20-2008, 05:58 PM
Movie was awesome great... loved every minute of it. I liked the camera worked it was spot on for running around a city hiding from a big monster.

cresshead
01-20-2008, 06:14 PM
cloverfield is a marmite film...you either love it or hate it!
...i'll get it on dvd as you may suffer from motion sickness on the big screen
outing...or sit at the back of the cinema to reduce it.

Speedmonk42
01-20-2008, 10:41 PM
If you can take the barf cam it would be great.

I think they could have creatively found some ways of giving the audience a 'break' from it. I still have a headache.

IgnusFast
01-21-2008, 10:54 AM
I thought it was brilliant and intense. I had high, but reasonable expectations, and it exceeded them by a long shot.

Now I have to wait for the DVD release for the following questions to be answered: (spoilers removed since this forum doesn't allow span html)

Matt
01-22-2008, 04:26 AM
I can't wait to see it, but have to say they "put the audience right there shaky cam" gets right up my nose.

They ruined the Bourne Identity fight sequences in the later films because of that, Doug Liman had it spot on in the first one.

jvturner
01-22-2008, 11:36 AM
I thought the movie was brilliant - an absolute masterpiece.

Darth Mole
01-22-2008, 12:26 PM
I can't wait to see it, but have to say they "put the audience right there shaky cam" gets right up my nose.

They ruined the Bourne Identity fight sequences in the later films because of that, Doug Liman had it spot on in the first one.

Quoted for extreme agreement!

hunter
01-22-2008, 01:34 PM
Shaky cam and all I liked it. I usually hate shakiness. It's really short though under 90 minutes probably closer to 80. Oh yeah the Star Trek teaser was great to see.

LW_Will
01-23-2008, 10:22 AM
I loved it as well.

The people who made this move obviously love Monster movies. The closing credits are played over by a song called, "ROAR!", which is a mash-up/parody/tribute to Godzilla, 50's movies, Rodan... a think a few dozen songs but all from monster movies.

I noticed that they had a ton of match movers, rotto artists, and matte painters in the credits.

Andyjaggy
01-23-2008, 10:36 AM
It was like Bourne all over again. I'm sure it was very challenging to make the whole movie look like it was shot by an 10 year old, but it made me sick.

Speedmonk42
01-23-2008, 11:18 AM
It is really two different issues.

It made me sick, but I can see how they did something really unique.

That monster was really plssed off.

sean hargreaves
01-23-2008, 12:28 PM
I hav'nt seen Cloverfield, is it a point of view of a camera a person is holding, or is it the point of view of a person? Point I'm making is cameras shake, peoples eyes don't when they run.

Andyjaggy, I'm with you on the Bourne films, the fight scene in Tunisia or morocco or wherever was fantastic and did'nt need so much shake. The whole film reeked of being shot by a epileptic cinematographer.

There a lot of crazy things going on in films right now with the way they are shot, such as the shaky point of view camera, and the infamous Buzzing Bumblebee camera in the Spiderman films. I think they are badly executed / good intentioned ideas, and also, these directors are looking at monitors 8"x11" on set, I think they forget that in a movie theatre, almost your entire field of view is covered by the image. Nightmare!!

Andyjaggy
01-23-2008, 12:42 PM
I think there is a time and place for it, but when the WHOLE movie is done that way it doesn't work for me.

sean hargreaves
01-23-2008, 12:44 PM
Agreed! :thumbsup:

KSTAR
01-23-2008, 01:32 PM
I loved it, I thought it was amazing, and one of the best movies I have seen in awhile. Interestingly at the screening I attended, nobody left their seats during the credits. Everyone kept wondering and waiting for more.

Looks like this is a love it or hate it movie :tongue:

aurora
01-23-2008, 02:18 PM
I loved it I'll say that much. I'm way over seeing shaky cam stuff though, big time past that! Not that I get sick watching it, I'm just sick of seeing it. But in Cloverfield it provided a rawness to the movie that sucked you into believing the possibility that this was really happening. Normally you go into a monster movie knowing its just that, but here you stop and think a bit because it feels like it was normal Joe blow, who happens to be a friend, and really experienced it with proof no less.
I also liked the fact that there was no need to explain a lot of the events that happened, they made perfect sense in the context we saw it happen in no 20 minute dialogs. Plus keeping the monster footage to short clips here and there just added to the rawness and power.

Liber777
01-23-2008, 03:02 PM
Despite the shake-o-cam, 'The Blair Monster Project' it is not. I thought Cloverfield was very, very successful and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I haven't had this much fun being scared in a monster movie since I was a wee one watching big rubbery monsters duking it out over Tokyo on Saturday morning UHF!

Despite my usual abhorrence for shaky cam (hate it in Battlestar Galactic, but thought it worked well in Firefly) I think it serves its purpose here admirably. Just don't sit up front!

Cheers,
Stivan

Liber777
01-23-2008, 03:10 PM
It is a visceral experience big-time. I walked into a 7-Eleven after the movie and kept half expecting to hear the first loud shaking boom and for the fluorescents to flicker... a post-adrenaline fight-or-flight nervousness definitely set in for me for some time after it was over.

Intuition
01-23-2008, 04:01 PM
Cloverfield is what happens when someone takes Blair witch and throws FX money at it.

;)

mikala
01-23-2008, 06:37 PM
Hype movie. Was disappointed in more ways than I was surprised.
Those having not seen it yet take Gravol or a painkiller first.

hunter
01-24-2008, 07:43 AM
I hav'nt seen Cloverfield, is it a point of view of a camera a person is holding, or is it the point of view of a person? Point I'm making is cameras shake, peoples eyes don't when they run.

It's from a camera being held by one of the characters. I don't get along well with shaky, and I don't play first person games because of that buut this worked IMHO.

greeb1957
01-24-2008, 07:48 AM
I think that peopel just arnt used to a movie like this, in a sense it was more real and i know it helped me to "feel" for the charecters more and improved the experince over all.

Steamthrower
01-24-2008, 08:19 PM
Just saw it.

It's now my favorite science fiction movie. Great, excellently done.

I didn't get sick at all, as a matter of fact I think they couldn't have done the handheld any better. They gave pauses without so much shake often enough to get oriented.

But as a movie, the story was simply great.

FIVE STARS!!!

Liber777
01-25-2008, 11:35 AM
Honestly, I think the camera shake served this movie well, and was more apt and far less distracting than what they do on Battlestar Galactica.

I find the camera direction on that show really irritating. The op seems to be shaking and wobbling the camera just for the sake of making it all herky-jerky, wibbly-wobbly, and it just doesn't make sense. Ugh.

To me this kind of camera direction was much more successful on Firefly, where there was a lot of handheld camera work, but the ops were told to hold the camera as steady as possible, which is of course impossible, and so the natural shake that occurs lends a much more realistic feel to it all.

Really like most of the Lightwave / Fusion work on BSG, though!

(:

Red_Oddity
01-26-2008, 08:42 AM
What i'm wondering though is, do they sell telephones and cameras in the U.S packed with car batteries? because my phone usually dies after leaving the camera accidentally running for over 10 minutes.

oh...wait...obvious plothole...right...gotcha.

aurora
01-26-2008, 09:38 AM
Yeah for this movie the camera shake not only made sense but was need. No one would ever buy a steady cam inside his cell phone even if they did it would unnatural and take the visceral being there feel from the movie.

hunter
01-26-2008, 10:28 AM
Um.. it wasn't a cell phone camera. It was a video camera. Mine has a ten hour battery so I believe there's really no plot hole there.
On another note has anybody seen this?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1148277/synopsis

Red_Oddity
01-26-2008, 06:22 PM
Ah, yes...there's actually a lot of those really really bad knock off movies with every release of a major motion picture.

Have you ever seen Transmorphers?....i watched it to check if it would pass as entertainment while hopping on the succes bandwagon of one of those big budget block buster....allas, it can't , hammering your testicles with two bricks for the entire running length of a movie is less painfull than watching that (and seriously, i'm not joking...really, i'm not).

hunter
01-27-2008, 08:59 AM
Ah, yes...there's actually a lot of those really really bad knock off movies with every release of a major motion picture.

Have you ever seen Transmorphers?....i watched it to check if it would pass as entertainment while hopping on the succes bandwagon of one of those big budget block buster....allas, it can't , hammering your testicles with two bricks for the entire running length of a movie is less painfull than watching that (and seriously, i'm not joking...really, i'm not).

It's the same with this one. I rented Monster, and it was just awful! It actually has one of the "stars" from Transmorphers in it. There was a preview for AVH Aliens vs. Hunters though. I'll bet that's good. ;D

Red_Oddity
01-28-2008, 03:48 PM
I just watched that trailer on Youtube...I seriously don't get it, how come a company like the Asylum still exists...these guys are so terribly terribly bad...i bet if you search the dictionary it will say :

mediocrity
(mē'dē-ŏk'rĭ-tē) pronunciation

n., pl. -ties.

1. The state or quality of being mediocre.
2. Mediocre ability, achievement, or performance.
3. One that displays mediocre qualities.
4. Any movie made by the Asylum.

hunter
01-28-2008, 07:05 PM
I just watched that trailer on Youtube...I seriously don't get it, how come a company like the Asylum still exists...these guys are so terribly terribly bad...i bet if you search the dictionary it will say :

mediocrity
(mē'dē-ŏk'rĭ-tē) pronunciation

n., pl. -ties.

1. The state or quality of being mediocre.
2. Mediocre ability, achievement, or performance.
3. One that displays mediocre qualities.
4. Any movie made by the Asylum.

HA HA. Wow! That's way more generous than I would've been. I'd have gone with "Horrendous" :)

Speedmonk42
01-31-2008, 10:33 PM
I hope someone runs Cloverfield through the stabilization feature in SpeedEdit.

Maybe that with a little pan&scan and thing would be watchable.

Jim_C
02-20-2008, 02:27 PM
I'm late to the party here, but I saw it when it came out and loved it!

I knew what I was getting walking in, a monster movie shot from a single camera POV, with unknown actors who were encouraged to ad-lib.

IMO, it was just long enough to carry the POV gimmick, the monster looked real, the sound effects were awesome, I loved not haiving a music score, and a couple times I noticed I had the death grip on my arm rest so something must have been working.

That's one I'm glad I saw on the big screen and didn't wait for rental.

Although I think 'The Host', 2006 Korean flick, is one of the best monster movies I have seen in a long long long time. They mixed monster with social/political commentary and still managed to touch on family values in a real way.

tata
Jim