PDA

View Full Version : VIPER on MAc Pro no go...

deg
01-18-2008, 05:03 PM
Hey guys, my LW chops are waaay rusty, but I can't seem to get VIPER to work (<sigh> no FPrime) on my Mac Pro.

I Enable VIPER, hit F9, and then F7, and then hit Render in VIPER, and nothing but black, in a simple test scene with just a sphere.

In a scene I am working on I do get something or than black (can make out what it is though) but definitely not my camera view.

<rusty and confused>

Thanks,
deg

littlewaves
01-18-2008, 05:46 PM
Just did a quick test of this (I'm on intel imac) with a sphere.

Not sure if this is how it's supposed to work or if it's a bug but I have to have opened the surface editor (f5) at some point for the render to appear in viper.

I don't have to do anything in the surface editor, just open it and then viper works

Maybe someone with more experience than me can explain this?
I guess it makes some sense as presumably the surface editor and viper are linked in plenty of ways in whatever code they use

Hope this helps

deg
01-18-2008, 06:01 PM
Well littlewaves, that'll do it. :)

Seems I forgot that in my rusty-ness.

Thanks very much. :)

deg

Scazzino
01-18-2008, 07:02 PM
Just did a quick test of this (I'm on intel imac) with a sphere.

Not sure if this is how it's supposed to work or if it's a bug but I have to have opened the surface editor (f5) at some point for the render to appear in viper.

I don't have to do anything in the surface editor, just open it and then viper works

Maybe someone with more experience than me can explain this?
I guess it makes some sense as presumably the surface editor and viper are linked in plenty of ways in whatever code they use

Hope this helps

Yeah, it's always been that way... not a bug really, just how it works because Viper is context sensitive and works for more than just surfaces. You need to have something open like the surface editor so that it knows what you want Viper to preview. Having the surface editor open lets it know you want to preview surfaces... It would probably be a good idea for it to assume you want to preview surfaces if you don't have any of the editors open, since that's what most people get confused with... those using Viper for other previews probably know to make the other editors active since that's what they want to preview...

deg
01-18-2008, 07:19 PM
Yeah, it's always been that way... not a bug really, just how it works because Viper is context sensitive and works for more than just surfaces. You need to have something open like the surface editor so that it knows what you want Viper to preview. Having the surface editor open lets it know you want to preview surfaces... It would probably be a good idea for it to assume you want to preview surfaces if you don't have any of the editors open, since that's what most people get confused with... those using Viper for other previews probably know to make the other editors active since that's what they want to preview...

Sure sure. ;)

Been having trouble with backgrounds showing up weird or not or in sections, and also with transparency though.

Not used to working with VIPER as I always used FPrime in the past.

Thanks for your help guys. :)

deg