PDA

View Full Version : keeping an eye on your stuff etc..

cresshead
01-18-2008, 03:19 PM
okay sorta off topic but you may find it interesting anyhow...

i bumped into a friend today who told me he had just been broken into and lost his pc's and guitar to some scumbags who kicked his door in and stole his stuff from his house...got me thinking about when i'm out i;d like to keep an eye on my home..and my cats!

so went down and bought a el cheapo webcam...was okay but the softweare was pretty rubbish but then found this online

http://www.yawcam.com/

it can upload a snap via ftp at user definable time slices, has a scheduler too..
also has motion detection software and again can upload a seq of images to a ftp or email you!...

it's not just the 'live' image but saves every 'x' seconds or whatever you wish.

so...getting 2 more cameras tomorrow as their so cheap and will be fixing them up around the house!

so if someone does break in you have some video/image evidence stored on your website.

Andyjaggy
01-18-2008, 03:25 PM
You need a cat like mine, that will keep the burglers away.

Cageman
01-18-2008, 03:29 PM
so if someone does break in you have some video/image evidence stored on your website.

...untill they take the computer and leave (getting snapshots that is)... ;)

Seriously though, it's a very good idea.

cresshead
01-18-2008, 03:38 PM
yeah, at least i may have some evidence if it happens again [had my previous house broken into in 1996 and all my stuff was taken]...which i REALLY hope doesn't happen again of course...

but seeing as it only costs 12 per camera and some usb extension leads so i can place them where i want them and get a 3 camera setup for 32 excluding the ext leads.

also thinking about doing the same for my mum who's 80..to keep an eye on her...just need to convince her to get a internet connection then i can setup
some cameras and a cheap laptop to see if she's okay.

Hopper
01-18-2008, 06:56 PM
Just don't use the software that posts to a live site. If you can see your house remotely... so can they! :cursin:

zapper1998
01-18-2008, 07:09 PM
ALso "HAVE INSURANCE', I have the renters insurance thru AllState Insurance, So If there going to Steal it or burn it or what ever, It's covered for replacement costs, I hope it never happens, Knock on Wood.

A Couple of months ago, I updated my insurance policy, just to make sure what is covered and what is not covered, u would be suprised what is covered and what is not covered depending on the conditions...These Insurance Company's have you by the U Know What's....should be a crime for some of the things they get away with....

All Data is backed up weekly to a 1TB Networked Storage Unit in the Basement, in a locked Box, bolted to the floor with 1/2 inch Hilti bolts, hidden from sight..

Michael

DiedonD
01-19-2008, 03:15 AM
ALso "HAVE INSURANCE', I have the renters insurance thru AllState Insurance, So If there going to Steal it or burn it or what ever, It's covered for replacement costs, I hope it never happens, Knock on Wood.
Michael

The problem of course is the painful loss of the WORK that was on the disk drive!!! I think we also need external disk drives updated weekly and kept on a bank or other safe places. Then if its stolen and your insured, it wouldnt be as bad. ALl the stuff would be replaced and the work is safe on that external hard disk .

At the worst youll be just a week late on the work. Thats if you dont loose the external hard disk too of course!

cresshead
01-19-2008, 04:10 AM
Just don't use the software that posts to a live site. If you can see your house remotely... so can they! :cursin:

yup it'll be to a non linked folder of images which i'll only know the name of.:thumbsup:

kopperdrake
01-19-2008, 09:30 AM
hey cress - I have to admit I use a couple of webcams for exactly that reason. Right now I have a 4-day render on so one of the webcams is pointing at the render progress panel and uploading the image every 10 secs so I can check the render is still going ok! the other cam is on motion detection and will upload movies and images to a secure ftp server, plus email me that it has done so. on my little phone here I can check the progress bar & know if i'm beine burgled. sometime's technology is great!

mrpapabeis
01-19-2008, 09:53 AM
Sorry, but I have you all beat. I live in the country at the end of a loop road. My neighbors are rednecks. Anyone that comes snooping around faces some pretty hard stares to begin with. A couple of years ago we had some teenagers try to break into a house. They where armed and made the mistake of waving a shotgun around. Oh boy. They where literally surrounded, disarmed, and sat on till the police showed up. I kid you not. One poor fellow had his face in a pile of red ants. I thought the crowd was going to lynch them. One old gezeer wanted to tie 'em up and feed them to the alligator that lives in a drainage culvert (we call it the no dog zone). The were very happy when the police finally showed up.... 25 minutes later.

GP

cresshead
01-19-2008, 09:59 AM
sounds rather nice actually...we're stuck in the u.k. so 'red necks', guns and alligators are in short supply...we're limited to harsh language, letting them back out of prison early and being blamed for them in the first place cos we're more 'lucky' then them....

read between the lines!

kopperdrake
01-19-2008, 11:52 AM
sounds rather nice actually...we're stuck in the u.k. so 'red necks', guns and alligators are in short supply...we're limited to harsh language, letting them back out of prison early and being blamed for them in the first place cos we're more 'lucky' then them....

read between the lines!

Oh Cress don't get me started! I heard rumours of 'them' wanting to tax people in some way for the 'luxury' of living in the countryside. So first we had to add almost 70% to the price of an equivalent house just to be able to escape kids yelling at all hours on the estate we used to live in, broken glass regularly on the pavements (great for the dog), the fact we have to pay more for oil in the country as there's no gas, pay for our own sewerage system, have no street lights yet still pay the same tax are all factors we happily took on. We both work long hours for this privilege, and yet they have the audacity to even consider taxing us for it! I even have to pick up beer cans/rubbish bags/food wrappers in the local field entrances that scum have dropped after a late-night session in the lane. i've found worse too but I ain't touching some things!

I'm liberal by nature but the one thing I really hate is being taken for a ride and I get the feeling there are loads out there riding some of us for the fools they think we are.

Can we borrow your red-neck neighbours sometime? ;) I'd love a sign on the gate with an alligator on it and the wording 'I live here' on it :D

cresshead
01-19-2008, 12:15 PM
yup, tar and feathering needs to be brought back along with the cat of nine tails, the stocks and transportation [i'd suggest 'rock all' in the atlantic ocean as an ideal place for them]

http://petermo.files.wordpress.com/2007/10/rockall-thin.jpg

either that or i need to hire someone like>>>
http://lukehoughton.com/2007/12/19/3-things-i-learned-from-charles-bronson/

richdj
01-19-2008, 12:26 PM

read between the lines!

Don't get me started...... It's always someone elses fault that they (Criminals) commit crime. It's someone elses fault they grew up with nothing to do? It's someone elses fault theyre too lazy to get off their fat rear ends and get a job. They don't want to change (most of them that is), they enjoy being able to theive from you... OK I'll stop now...

One thing to say about CCTV, make sure that the images you get are decent, really, it's no use otherwise. Also, remember that burglars like to work in the dark, or virtualy dark.

Rich

cresshead
01-19-2008, 12:44 PM
hey, rich at least you lock 'em up!

richdj
01-19-2008, 12:46 PM
hey, rich at least you lock 'em up!

yep..

IMI
01-19-2008, 01:30 PM
It's someone elses fault they grew up with nothing to do? It's someone elses fault theyre too lazy to get off their fat rear ends and get a job. They don't want to change (most of them that is), they enjoy being able to theive from you... OK I'll stop now...

And that's just the politicians. The amateur criminals are much much worse. :D

Titus
01-19-2008, 05:18 PM
Well, last wednesday I received a call at 5:00 a.m. from the security company who receives signals of the little white box in my studio. According to the alarm someone broke into the studio, I choose to call the police, pffff. Police in this town!

I've spent the next few hours thinking in a big hole in the wall of my office, with no computers or even worse, no playstation! fortunately it was just a false alarm, what activated the motion sensor? maybe a rat or a big fat cat.

DiedonD
01-22-2008, 05:19 AM
In Indonesia they treat criminals rather to my liking. What they do is, they give a warning. The kingdom gives a warning. Then if the criminal makes another similar move, the Warning grows to a Threat, and that kinda threat is natively been known to be feared for the reasons youll read below. If the criminal still persists, I think by tradition, greats his family farewell and friends (if they have em for real) and on a night a secret state owned mercenaries come, pickup, and just make him dissapear. Nobody knows about them, its mysterious governmental branch of somekind. And the criminal is basically wiped out for good, not a trace of him will ever be seen again!!

Sarford
01-25-2008, 05:41 AM
Wow, that is quite scary! I guess its very tempting for that government to do exactly the same to those 'criminals' who oppose their reign.

@Cresshead: Better make sure your comp and camera's have power backup couse if the burglars cut the powerlines before entering you won't have any pictures ;)

cresshead
01-25-2008, 07:00 AM
yeah but i'll have pics of them CUTTING the power with cams front and rear of the house as well as inside..usb ext leads are ACE!!
mind you they co0uld be in their ''scum of the earth uniforms''...hoodies...that'll be annoying eh!

...computer is a lappy so can run on it's battery..though the cable connection could be cut...

i can also set motion detection to email me a note once i havwe all my cameras set up an running in their proper locations...usb ext leads turned up today from amazon

...this isn't an iron clad solution...nothing is not even staying home with a shotgun and a rocking chair!

my main motivation was just to be able to keep an eye on my house and cats whilst i'm out

Steamthrower
01-25-2008, 10:02 AM
Staying home with a shotgun would work for me.

I might prefer a .357 Magnum, though, because that would make more noise.