PDA

View Full Version : Split Curves?

Draco9898
01-18-2008, 01:20 PM
Is there a way to take a curve, and split it down the middle into two curves? thanks

tddbr00
01-18-2008, 02:04 PM
have you tried the knife tool?

Silkrooster
01-18-2008, 04:45 PM
Select your curve use the add points tool to create a point where you want the split(This is optional as you can use an existing point). In points mode select the point switch back to polygon mode and click on the split tool. Make sure your point is still selected when switch to polygon mode so LW will know where you want the split to occur.
Silk

Ztreem
01-18-2008, 05:10 PM
Select your curve use the add points tool to create a point where you want the split(This is optional as you can use an existing point). In points mode select the point switch back to polygon mode and click on the split tool. Make sure your point is still selected when switch to polygon mode so LW will know where you want the split to occur.
Silk

This is a great example of LW's bad workflow, why the hell doesn't the knife tool just work on curves as well. So much easier and straight forward.:thumbsdow (Sorry, couldn't help it.) :devil:

Draco9898
01-18-2008, 07:25 PM
Works pretty good :thumbsup: :lwicon:

Exception
01-19-2008, 10:12 AM
This is a great example of LW's bad workflow, why the hell doesn't the knife tool just work on curves as well. So much easier and straight forward.:thumbsdow (Sorry, couldn't help it.) :devil:

You never worked in Catia, did you?

Try it for a bit and then we'll talk :)
There isn't even a move command.

(BTW I agree, all tools should work on all elements, but there's a curve knife somewhere too)

Ztreem
01-20-2008, 05:23 AM
You never worked in Catia, did you?

Try it for a bit and then we'll talk :)
There isn't even a move command.

(BTW I agree, all tools should work on all elements, but there's a curve knife somewhere too)

Nope not yet, mostly worked with CAID softwares not CAD softwares. I used Rhino and Alias studio and a little Solidworks. I'm now looking into learning Pro Engineer for a job. And of course every app has it's weird workflow ,so everything isn't greener on the other side. I just want LW to get better and small workflow things like this can really make a difference. :D

quakebox
07-07-2010, 02:39 AM
3 simple steps of how to split a curve in Lightwave 9,

1-In point mode select a point where you want the split
2-Go to Polygon mode and select that curve going to be split
3-Hit CTRL+L (shortcut for split polygon)

Dodgy
07-07-2010, 02:52 AM
Download my plugin SharpSmooth.
If you select points on a curve (or curves) and activate it, it splits those curves at those points.

If you select some curves which are connected at their ends, it smooths across those curves.