PDA

View Full Version : Getting started

Bald Eagle
01-18-2008, 12:29 PM
This may not be the proper place to ask these questions, but being a new member, I’ll have to ask my questions. If I’m in the wrong place, let me know and perhaps you can tell me where I can get the information I need.

I just bought a Sony HDR-SR8 camcorder. I want to edit video. I’ve been looking at editing applications and have gotten a bit overwhelmed. My computer is too old to comply with any video editing software. So my two questions are: 1) Is SpeedEdit a good product for me? 2) What components do I need in a PC in order to do the editing efficiently?

A couple of notes: I am computer literate, and I have built a couple of computers. The camcorder does not have FireWire/i.Link, but it does record in AVCHD. Connections are made with USB-2.
Thanks.

SBowie
01-18-2008, 12:46 PM
AVCHD support is not widespread in the editing realm yet, so a good place to begin reading here would be to do a quick search for that to get up to speed vis a vis SE in that respect. (Perhaps someone who use it will also chime in here with reflections on your other questions.)

CreatvGnius
01-18-2008, 04:08 PM
Welcome, Bald!

Simply go to Newtek.com/Products/speededit/
to learn more...

Taken from:
http://www.newtek.com/speededit/specs.php

Minimum System Specifications (DV):

* Intel® Pentium® 4 or AMD Athlon™ processor that supports SSE2
* IEEE1394 FireWire™ card required for DV or HDV capture
* DirectX 9-capable graphics card with 64MB RAM (per display) and
* minimum 1280x1024 screen resolution (ATI or NVIDIA chipset recommended)
* 1 Gigabyte of system RAM
* IDE or SATA system drive with 6 Gigabytes of free disk space
* DVD Drive
* Windows® XP (Service Pack 2) or Vista™ Operating System
* DirectX 9.0c or higher

Suggested System Specifications (HDV):

* For Hi Definition editing, dual CPUs or dual dual-core CPUs are suggested for the smoothest and fastest operation.
* IEEE1394 FireWire™ card required for DV or HDV capture
* PCI Express-based graphics card with 256MB RAM (per display) and minimum 1280x1024 screen resolution. (ATI or NVIDIA graphics chipset recommended)
* 2 Gigabytes of system RAM
* IDE or SATA system drive with 6 Gigabytes of free disk space
* Separate SATA or SCSI drives for video playback
* DVD Drive
* Windows® XP (Service Pack 2), Windows XP Pro x64™ Edition or Vista™ Operating System
* DirectX 9.0c or higher

NewTek recommends the suggested system configuration. Systems with slower processor and drive speed will work with SpeedEDIT™, but some complex functions may not perform in real-time. Specifications are subject to change without notice.

This may not be the proper place to ask these questions, but being a new member, I’ll have to ask my questions. If I’m in the wrong place, let me know and perhaps you can tell me where I can get the information I need.

I just bought a Sony HDR-SR8 camcorder. I want to edit video. I’ve been looking at editing applications and have gotten a bit overwhelmed. My computer is too old to comply with any video editing software. So my two questions are: 1) Is SpeedEdit a good product for me? 2) What components do I need in a PC in order to do the editing efficiently?

A couple of notes: I am computer literate, and I have built a couple of computers. The camcorder does not have FireWire/i.Link, but it does record in AVCHD. Connections are made with USB-2.
Thanks.

Bald Eagle
01-19-2008, 09:08 AM
Thanks for the hardware specs. I saw them and should have phrased my question differently as I was wondering if there were special components preferred for SE.

I've read thru some of the posts and understand that AVCHD is not an SE format at this time. I can record in either AVCHD or standard, so that's not a problem. AVCHD aside, is SE for novices or professionals?

CreatvGnius
01-22-2008, 08:08 PM
AVCHD aside, is SE for novices or professionals?
I suspect more professionals are beginning to use SpeedEDIT™as an adjunct to their existing post-production toolset, Bald.

Just a quick glance at the many types of codec and formats SpeedEDIT supports should give you an immediate answer to your query -- not to mention its support for MXF.

'Course -- one could be a novice to SpeedEDIT™ and yet be a professional. :D
PeterG

ScorpioProd
01-22-2008, 08:46 PM
-- not to mention its support for MXF.

Well, "some" MXF...

ted
01-23-2008, 02:33 PM
is SE for novices or professionals?

While I always say you should never stop learning, I would definitely consider myself a professional. After 30 years of creating broadcast content and using all the big boy Broadcast toys, yeh, I would consider SpeedEDIT and VT5 to be professional tools. :seicon: :vticon:

We compete with all the AVID and FCP users in our market. Our productions range from low to high end commercials, infomercials and marketing videos.
We moved to VT2 a number of years ago and never looked back.

No doubt different tools work for different people and tasks.
But NewTek has created a line of production tools that allows ANY person/company to compete against any other person/company.

That was Tim Jenison's dream long ago and thanks to Tim, you don't have to win the lottery to compete against the competition. :thumbsup: It's what you have in your head that will limit your success.

So yeh, if you can't make money with SpeedEDIT, you probably couldn't make money with anything else. JMHO.

Bald Eagle
01-24-2008, 06:46 PM
I"ve ordered a computer that will more than just handle any NLE app. So I know need to get started. Looks as if SpeedEdit is a possible NLE app. To save startup time, I would like to get tutored in starting my movie-making advocation. Does anyone out there teach, or know anyone who teaches the use of editing tools? I live in Orange Cty, CA, close to LA. Thanks.

Bald Eagle
01-24-2008, 06:54 PM