PDA

View Full Version : hypervoxels and interactions

tddbr00
01-18-2008, 09:30 AM
Im working on this scene and I need my particles to interact with the rest of the object that is within the scene. My object is comprised of several different layers. I need the smoke to stay constrained with in the tube but also to interact with the gold plate at the end of the tube (see red arrows) and also the blue inlet tube near the big piston looking thing (also red arrow) any suggestions or tips?

Amurrell
01-18-2008, 11:48 AM
First question is, are your surfaces set up as collision objects? Then from there I think the particle experts can answer the rest :).

tddbr00
01-18-2008, 11:54 AM
they are....

adamredwoods
01-18-2008, 12:24 PM
In a general sense, you need to think about what you want to see, vs. what you want Lightwave to do. In other words, since LW is not like a game engine-- where you can have interactivity and physics involved-- you need to think of how to 'cheat' the shot.

Break down your sequence of events into an outline.

Control the path of your particles using paths, null objects, invisible containers. Remember you don't necessarily have to use whats _actually_ an object, vs creating something invisible to get the results that you want.

You can also control timing and actions with your particles by creating different "groups". If your particles, created by a Null_A, in Group_A, follows a path. If the particles touch Null_B (defined by dynamic FX collision object), then you can have those particles switch to a different Group_B, which is controled by wind, or path, or gravity in Group_B.

If you need more technical, step-by-step info, read the manual and do searches in the forums. If you are still stuck, post very specific questions defined by your sequence of desired results.

Stooch
01-19-2008, 01:16 PM
first setup colliders. make sure they are set to object. you may want to create a low res invisible mesh as colliders to speed things up. the gold plane on the right could be handled by creating a null and adding an fx collider to it in rectangle mode. these kind of predetermined shapes always work better than objects IMO.

go into particle emitter and make sure that the colliders and the emitters are in the same group.

make sure that your particle size is set appropriatelly. turn on show particle size to help. set particle self interaction to bounce.

enjoy.

p.s. you are using far too few particles and your voxel size is entirely too big. even when you get the collision to work, the voxels will stick through the walls because they are so big. i recommend using about 10x more particles and scale down the voxels appropriately.

toby
01-20-2008, 12:24 PM
my first LW animation, 2001 :beerchug:

I did what adamredwoods said, no collision, just wind and careful placement of emitters. I wasn't trying to do vapor though, the camera was traveling through the carburetor, so close up, I just left them as droplets. Actually, I used volumetric lights for the exhaust gases, it's a good substitute for HV sometimes. It might work for you, but it would be tricky.

tddbr00
01-21-2008, 01:19 PM
my first LW animation, 2001 :beerchug:

I did what adamredwoods said, no collision, just wind and careful placement of emitters. I wasn't trying to do vapor though, the camera was traveling through the carburetor, so close up, I just left them as droplets. Actually, I used volumetric lights for the exhaust gases, it's a good substitute for HV sometimes. It might work for you, but it would be tricky.

What kind of carburetor was that, that you built? I am building a constant velocity carb.

toby
01-21-2008, 11:03 PM
It's only the cv carbs that have the butterlfy valve, I think. It's modeled after a Mikuni motorcyle carb. I didn't model anything above the silde, since it wasn't visible; so it doesn't look quite right from the outside.

Surrealist.
01-22-2008, 03:46 AM
This water though a pipe (ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/movies/w3dw/waterpipe.mov) tutorial shows some similar techniques.