PDA

View Full Version : Streaming

NVentive
01-17-2008, 03:53 PM
Hey All --

We just finished a little Biz & Tech Expo with our chamber. Our TCaster was the belle of the ball, with a huge crowd around all the time with their jaws hanging open. Lots of leads and good times.
Our experience with audiovideoweb was not so positive. We have always used uStream in the past, went with avweb to ensure the best possible quality. Yikes....we'll not make that mistake again. Nobody here is at all happy with that side of our show.
But the demo side...ahhhh....that was nice.

D3Cast
01-17-2008, 04:38 PM
went with avweb to ensure the best possible quality. Yikes...What happened? What, as best you could tell, were the problems? How much upload bandwidth did you have from the site, by the way?

-steve

David in TN
01-17-2008, 05:11 PM
I just talked with AVweb last night and I am getting ready to use them. I'll be curious to hear what went wrong too....

David in TN
01-17-2008, 05:26 PM
Steve, are there any other companies you could recommend for live web streaming....

NVentive
01-17-2008, 08:11 PM
We're going to sort thru it all tomorrow, and I will post details soon.
We were not sending a huge stream, and had plenty of headroom in available bandwidth. Everyone who tried to watch complained of buffering interruptions every 30 seconds or so. At first I thought it might be us, I called our i.t. guy in and he went over everything....he then talked with tech support at avweb, was not real pleased.

AVWeb did otay in all our tests, but it was an embarrassing time for us today. We had received a lot of press on this, and even though we were not expecting huge audience, we needed it to go well for the sake of our reputation.

We have in the past used uStream, which is not really an opton for TriCaster users without an interstitial. We were not, however, streaming from our TCaster today - it was far too busy being the star of the show in its own right - we were most popular booth there today by far. We were streaming from our [5],and could have used uStream easily. Yes there would have been cropping to deal with, but we already have the toolshed preset for that so it would not have been a big deal.

I'm going to go back thru my setups tomorrow afternoon and make sure I didn't miss anything obvious -- I've been known to do that B4. Missed settings or not, with uStream you just punch the button and it goes, which is what I should have done today. Even if this was not avweb's fault (and I think it was) I would have been better off with uStream, since I have used them so much I can do it without much thought.

I leaned something else kinda fun on this, but I'll put that in another post over on the gen support page. I'll do my homework on the stream situation and will post the conclusion of the saga tomorow....

David in TN
01-18-2008, 08:45 AM
Just another quick question about streaming... How many viewers can watch your production on Ustream and still have a decent looking production? Or does the quality pretty much stay the same no matter how many people are watching...?

Thanks

andrew.lipson
01-18-2008, 10:39 AM
David in TN: I've used UStream and haven't found any degradation with user counts from single digits to hundreds of simultaneous viewers.

Andrew

Paul Lara
01-19-2008, 08:06 AM
Just another quick question about streaming... How many viewers can watch your production on Ustream and still have a decent looking production? Or does the quality pretty much stay the same no matter how many people are watching...?

Your streaming provider sets up a pipe based on how many users you request to simultaneously view the show. IF you request 100 viewers, then all 100 will have the same quality. Potential viewer #101 will get a message saying "all circuits are busy...please try later".

mmproduc
01-19-2008, 09:43 AM
We use streamguys and have had great quality and reliability. Their pricing is reasonable as well. We have been streaming off Tricasters for live productions and dealer demos for over a year with no problems.