PDA

View Full Version : Weird Mac reboot using LW V9

gpdesigner
01-16-2008, 05:56 PM
I have been putting up with this since I got my new Mac Pro but now I am fed up . . . For some reason every now and again while using modeler, my Mac will just go to a blank- blue screen then fade back into use, however all apps are close and all info is lost.

I don't think the machine reboots because the event is too fast, it's almost as if it resets . . any ideas . . ?
gp

dablan
01-16-2008, 08:20 PM
How is your Mac configured? That is, do you have Apple RAM or was RAM added later, after you bought it?

gpdesigner
01-17-2008, 07:01 AM
I have 3rd Party ram but that was happening before that I think. the time frame is so close I can't remember . . . I bought the computer and days later I got the ram increase . .
I don't see were ram would cause this, or Apple would have said something . . . they are suggesting a separate user account to see if it is in my user config.
gp

dablan
01-17-2008, 07:34 AM
It's just that in my experience, issues like this are non-apple ram related. The Mac is very picky about RAM. Friends I have who work for Apple have confirmed this, and highly recommended that we use only Apple RAM.

Perhaps try deleting your LW Prefs and run verify permissions on your drives, just in case.

eblu
01-17-2008, 07:41 AM
this sounds like your window server is crashing and taking everything with it.

working from a new user is not a bad idea. it allows you to see if the problem is User centric, a preference file or something only installed in your user account.

if it occurs from the new user account, then the next step is to tun off or remove third party add on software.

if That doesn't fix it, re-install the os

if That doesn't fix it, you have a hardware conflict.
likely canidates:
ram ram ram ! Dan Alban is right. Ram more than anything else in hardware is the likely cause.

bad logic board.
bad power supply.
a short or ground problem somewhere in the machine. (chances are slim on these things)

my bet? its 50 -50 either you need to reinstall the os, or replace your ram.

RonGC
01-17-2008, 11:25 AM
Could also run the hardware diagnostics app, it will check all your hardware and give you a report on its status.

Worth a shot.

Ron

gpdesigner
01-17-2008, 05:18 PM
Thanks for the help . . I will try the new user test tomorrow . . .
I don't think it is a Ram issue, like I said I remeber the machine doing it before I put new Ram in, Sorry Mac don't like 3rd party Ram . . .

my wallet loves 3rd party Ram . . . . :agree:

Hopefully I won't have to do anything like re-install anything . . That would be unfortunate as I like the settings I have and re-installs just screw everything up. . .
wish me luck and thanks for the help . . .
Peace
gp

hard8
01-17-2008, 06:24 PM
I have had nothing but smooth sailing using Crucial Ram. I have never bought Apple ram. In fact I make sure and replace all the ram in the machine with one brand. It sucks throwing out 2 gigs, but I have had issues where I had more than one brand installed.

If you still have Apple ram in the machine, try removing it and running only the 3rd party chips. Just make sure they are paired.

Scazzino
01-17-2008, 09:21 PM
You can easily verify if it's RAM related. Just pull out the extra RAM for a few days and see if that stops the problem or not...

;)

gpdesigner
01-18-2008, 07:49 PM
well I tried new user and removed the 3rd party Ram and still reset issues . .
I have gremlins in my machine . . . I really really don't want to start re-installing anything. Although it wouldn't be that bad as I only have LW and photoshop on the machine. But I have LW 8.5 and 9.0
9.0 is an upgrade but it's using 8.5 Dongle . . it's a nightmare but I don't want to lose all the cool menu's I set up . . . dang there has to be another way . . .
gp

Scazzino
01-18-2008, 09:06 PM
OK, so it's not the third party RAM. Just to totally rule out a RAM issue, I'd try pulling the original RAM and just put in the third party RAM instead. That will rule out a problem with the original RAM. I'd also run the hardware diagnostics in loop mode at least over night to rule out any other hardware problems...

gpdesigner
01-19-2008, 06:48 AM
I'd also run the hardware diagnostics in loop mode at least over night to rule out any other hardware problems...

? sorry, . . . . . do a what?
do I need a magnumspectrometer for that of is it something available inside of OS Leopard?
gp

RonGC
01-19-2008, 11:39 AM
On the leopard install disc should be the hardware diagnostics app, insert the OSX install dvd then restart your Mac while holding down the D key, The hardware diagnostics app will run and check your systems hardware for any faults.

A lot of people don't even know this app exists until they really need it.

Ron

gpdesigner
01-19-2008, 12:15 PM
Thanks Ron I will give that a shot . . .
gp

Scazzino
01-19-2008, 06:28 PM
Yes, run Apple Hardware Diagnostics in loop mode (press control-L) so that it can continuously run overnight, or all weekend which is better to find any possible intermittent errors.

Actually the Mac Pro's use ECC RAM that corrects single bit errors on the fly. You can tell if your RAM has any of these correctible errors by opening the System Profiler from the About this Mac dialog. Then click on Memory. The status next to each DIMM should always read OK. If it shows errors, then you have RAM that is failing and being corrected by the ECC. If so I'd return the RAM to have it replaced because only single bit errors are correctible. It could get worse over time...

Here's some bad RAM info...
http://www.macintouch.com/badram01.html

RonGC
01-19-2008, 08:47 PM
Yes, run Apple Hardware Diagnostics in loop mode (press control-L) so that it can continuously run overnight, or all weekend which is better to find any possible intermittent errors.

Yes i should have said that, D will run it once, Scazzino is right!

Ron

dwburman
01-19-2008, 09:10 PM
it's a nightmare but I don't want to lose all the cool menu's I set up . . . dang there has to be another way . . .
gp

it IS possible to export menu layouts in LW so that shouldn't be too much of a concern. :)