PDA

View Full Version : Realictic Render is good thing..But how to make????

sickstyle
01-16-2008, 12:06 PM
Hi everybody.im an graphic designer but im also a 3d lover.i started modeling a few months ago with Lightwave.for now i dont have problem with modeling and even when i have,i can find out in internet.BUT...this ''but'' is really big problem for me coz i cant find out this problem in internet.REALISTIC RENDER...How will i do it?i see so much models in finished works page like '' audiR8 or lotus Exise"and they r realistic works.(exactly what i want in my cars after render)
There r so many MASTERS of lightwave in this forum.and i want some helps from them.
Where im doing wrong with rendering?what i have to do in lw layout.whats radiosty or other tools.whats the levels of car bodies surface.is it about that i entered wrong levels for surface properties?this is what i did on my last work;

luministy:0%
diffuse:100%
specularity:60%
Glossiness:40%
reflection:20%
transparency:0%
translucency:10%
bumb:100%
smooth: on / 89.53
dubble sided: on

i use lightwave 7.Or is it about version of lightwave?do i have to use lastest versions of lightwave to have better modeling and better rendering?

thanks from now :)

walfridson
01-16-2008, 12:17 PM
Hm I think there's a nice car lightsetup on the content cd. Spyder something.

clumsycloudy
01-16-2008, 01:23 PM
one of the things you really need is for something to reflect into your car..

hdri possibly, look it up on the internet lots of tuts on that everywhere..

... and have a look at http://www.neilblevins.com/cg_education/overbright_card/overbright_card.htm

its max but the same rules apply.. go experiment..

cheers

StereoMike
01-16-2008, 01:27 PM
another point:
make sure you add a fresnel effect to the lacquer.
You do this by adding a gradient to the reflection channel based on incidence, so it reflect e.g. 95% on the edge of the preview ball (on your surface panel) and maybe 5% on the inside. Copy this gradient to the diffuse channel and check 'invert'.
You have to play a little bit with the gradient settings, but it will surely add to realism.

mike

arrow1234
01-16-2008, 02:35 PM
dont worry, as long as you keep hanging around in this community and reading posts, you are on the right track:)

about your picture, y dont u add the ground and set ur backdro to white. I also think turnning GI on will boost up to photoreal :)

clumsycloudy
01-16-2008, 02:39 PM
I also think turnning GI on will boost up to photoreal :)

would be cool if that would be possible in LW 7 :D

at reasonable rendertimes that is..

clumsycloudy
01-16-2008, 02:45 PM
http://www.lightwiki.com/images/3/33/1990-LW10-modeler.png

oh lightwave, how you've grown :dance:

people must have mixed up 'disk' and 'disc' buttons occasionally in those days hehe

arrow1234
01-16-2008, 02:48 PM
would be cool if that would be possible in LW 7 :D

at reasonable rendertimes that is..

argh.... you kidding~
anyway we can still stay alive without that GI radiosity :)

i review the surface property, and i think the diffuse value shouldnt be 100%, try lower it. Somehow i heard a white painted wall has 65% diffuse value and wood has about 45%. Fix me if i am wrong

clumsycloudy
01-16-2008, 02:53 PM
even worse:a sheet of white paper has rgb values of 184, 184, 184

then theres the discussion if you really should use specularity and glossiness, for realistic purpose both should be o% and handled only though reflection and reflection blurring, did they have that in lw7?

clumsycloudy
01-16-2008, 02:57 PM
but then again, carpaint thats a whole different field, you can get levels way over 100% and bloom, dual layer highlights, i say worley plugins to the rescue, bring out the 'gaffer' gear

always liked gaffer myself

arrow1234
01-16-2008, 03:00 PM
http://www.lightwiki.com/images/3/33/1990-LW10-modeler.png

oh lightwave, how you've grown :dance:

people must have mixed up 'disk' and 'disc' buttons occasionally in those days hehe

oh that looks old....what version is that, and how long ago. which platfrom is this running on? it looks like old school DOS XD

clumsycloudy
01-16-2008, 03:01 PM
!AMIGA! and it still rocks.. its lw version 1

sickstyle
01-17-2008, 07:27 AM
hii back to everyone.first i want to thank u all who replied and tried to help me for my problem.
after i red ur posts,i rendered my new not complated 3d model by change some setting as u say..i tried to do all the things u said but some of them i couldnt do.what did i do?i made a white big box top of car as u can see a picture from my scene.(as clumsycloudy told to make sumthing reflect on to car,thanks clumsycloudy.it was great tip :) )
and i set the body surface up;
lim: 20
diffuse :40( i setted diffuse down as arrow1234 told)
spec: 125%
glos:30
(i saw in a max tutorial that spec and glos given same level.thats why i setted spec 125% and glos 30%
reflection 25%
transparency:0
translucency:0

and i also turned on GI(i dont know exactly what is GI but i saw Global illum in lights menu.:) so i though this must be GI.thanks arrow1234

for now i did all this.i will do more with ur helps..

about car:its not finished yet.still modeling.and the tires and ground are not touching eachother.it was a small mistake.

anyway,this is a geat step if u check the Laborgihini render that i sent before but,this is not a render i can say "wouwww,this is really realictic".soo..what should i do more to have more realistic..?

thanks

clumsycloudy
01-17-2008, 11:09 AM
looks way better already! I notice your car is floating, ground could use some reflection, and add antialiasing. The giant reflection screen should have cast shadows off in the object panel. GI is used to get some indirect illumination into your scene. Its not the make pretty button, like some believe.

For added effect add some cool blue or green area light facing the ground under the car, gives it a show effect and makes the car come loose from the ground.

Add detail to your car, white writing on the tires. Small point lights are nice to get some nice highlights.

The background is to harsh, photographers use a curved background to lose that sharp horizon line, the background object resembles a sink shape.

The rest is lighting issues, look into 'rimlights' and practise using color lights, for instance a nice warm arealight could really add to the side of the car. Use some light on the background, if you build a curved background you can light that with a nice coloured light.

Turn shadow off for the majority of lights, only use shadows for the direct lights.

keep up the work!

clumsycloudy
01-17-2008, 11:24 AM
And than theres depth of field for camera, but use it wisely just subtle is the key, use too much of it and your car turns into a miniature. A good idea could also be to add something that tells its size, so a good looking babe would be perfect, not alone for that purpose.

And learn from the pros..
look into http://area.autodesk.com/index.php/stories_bts/bts_detail/daniel_simons_cosmic_motors/

see how he uses colour to upsmuck his work, remember things dont end in the render but in photoshop!

arrow1234
01-17-2008, 02:41 PM
.....thanks arrow1234
thanks

oh you are very welcome..... actually you are the first one i am trying to help in the community, so i thank you too :):)
dont be afraid to ask and make sure stick with the community, you will learn whole lot more by reading posts:)

clumsycloudy
01-18-2008, 01:26 AM
http://www.etereaestudios.com/docs_html/nixus_htm/nixus_index.htm

another good example and shows good tricks, also the postwork, not lw but again its same in whole industry

arrow1234
01-18-2008, 10:50 AM
so it is OK to modify the rendered picture with a 3rd party program like Photoshop? its not considered as cheating?

i used to be on a digital camera(DC) forum, there, most users are not recommended to modify pictures taken from their DC. it means they wanna see how good can their DC handle/process the image originally.

just wonder

clumsycloudy
01-19-2008, 06:04 AM
so it is OK to modify the rendered picture with a 3rd party program like Photoshop? its not considered as cheating?

i used to be on a digital camera(DC) forum, there, most users are not recommended to modify pictures taken from their DC. it means they wanna see how good can their DC handle/process the image originally.

just wonder

there are no rules, just this is a newtek forum so your setup should be in lightwave, its hard for a render to come out perfect, always some minor adjustments needed even if its only contrast. I do most of my rendering in fprime/kray and although thats lightwave based its not lightwave out of the box.

Its nice to post wires if you feel you need to do it but in the end of the day its the final picture that counts, not your base render.

but thats my opinion..

clumsycloudy
01-19-2008, 06:17 AM
lightwave for stills is basicly a tool to create content, i dont think applying a mask or renderpass in photoshop is cheating. Even in animation a lot is done though compositing and its the safest way to go, no one should rely on a renderer alone, lots of trick to improve renders in seconds through photoshop.

sickstyle
01-20-2008, 09:44 PM
here they are.after a few night with some headache,finally i started to get good results.it was so difficult for an ameteur who made just his 4th modeling and rendering experience.and this work also teached me rendering is as much as hard modelling.:D i give myself 5/10 point on this rendering work.:thumbsup: what would u give?:hey:
again again again,thanks so much who replied and helped me by sharing their knowledges.
ofcourse this rendered images are not the best can be made but im done for now.but gonna be here again with my new works and ofcourse QUESTIONS :)

ciao for now......

clumsycloudy
01-24-2008, 04:23 AM
looks slighty pixar'ry, the car that didnt make 'cars' . Where you aiming for that look?

cheers

colkai
01-24-2008, 04:41 AM
I think it boils down to the red being too saturated and bright, drop it down a few shades and I think it would look much better.

StereoMike
01-24-2008, 05:17 AM
fresnel anyone?

sickstyle
01-24-2008, 06:17 PM
no.i didnt aim for this look but i have to stop for a while coz i dont have much time for 3d now.i allready gave 3-4 night to render this car.i need a few days resting,than resume with fresh brain..:)

clumsycloudy
01-25-2008, 01:27 AM
upgrade to 8 core, that will give your brain a rest hehe. fprime should be helpfull, even if your gonna render natively afterwards.

cheers

StereoMike
01-25-2008, 02:23 AM
but you know that every shine surface has this effect in real life dont't you?

mike