PDA

View Full Version : Strange stray poly after Smooth Shift and Points merge

roydee
01-15-2008, 12:48 PM
Hi.. I need some help please. :help:

I am trying to create a soccer ball but I have come across a problem which I have spent hours on trying to solve to no avail and I am hoping that someone with more experience than I could solve this for me (please). I have attached the lwo file where you can clearly see the problem on both the white and black patches. In the example that I have attached the problem can be clealry seen in one of the black patches and on one of the white patches although to a lesser extent. I have tried merge points, tried to delete any possible offending stray points etc but have not be able to get rid of them.
I am using the latest version of LW and this is how I create the patches after selecting the applicable polys.
step 1: Smooth Shift - offset 4mm
step 2: Merge Point Fixed - Distance 3.5mm
step 3: Smooth Shift - Offset 4mm
setp 4: Merge Point Fixed - Distance 3.5mm

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks heaps

cagey5
01-15-2008, 02:11 PM
I'd use multi-shift rather than smooth shift. I'm not sure why you are merging points between shifts either.
Try it with multi-shift and don't merge. That's if you have Multi-shift of course. WHat version of LW are you using?

roydee
01-15-2008, 03:55 PM
Hi Cagey..thanks for the reply.
I am using v9.3.1 and the reason that I am using this method is that I have been following a tutorial (possibly a few years old and which may have been written for a previous version).
I will try Multi-shift as suggested by you and see how it goes.
Thanks heaps

roydee
01-15-2008, 04:55 PM
Nope.. does not seem to work.. I can now "see" all the poly lines within each patch when I turn on smooth shade they do not go away in LAYOUT. In other words the problem seems to be worse than when using smooth-shift.

RudySchneider
01-15-2008, 05:06 PM
Yes, SmoothShift will extrude all polygons as a group, while MultiShift extrudes them individually.

roydee ---
It appears that you're trying to create seams in the soccer ball pattern by extruding the "lands" around them. In this case, I would do just as you have, using SmoothShift, but use the numeric panel ("n" hotkey) to change the Scale of the extruded faces, too. I tried it on a simpler tesselated sphere, and it seems to work.

RudySchneider
01-15-2008, 09:09 PM
BTW, here's a finished example of what I suggested, after sub-patching:

Surrealist.
01-15-2008, 09:42 PM
Your object has 2 point polys in it. Press w for statistics and then the + next to 2 Vertices and then delete them. This is could be caused by the fact that the number you are entering into the merge points dialog is merging points that do not need to be, thus causing the 2 point polys. This may also be made worse if you have accidentally put geometry on top of itself while using the smooth shift tool. Remember right click will create another extrude. Then if you merge points you could get the 2 point polys.

Deleting the 2 point polys fixed the problem on your model. :)

cagey5
01-16-2008, 02:10 AM
Yes, SmoothShift will extrude all polygons as a group, while MultiShift extrudes them individually.

Not if you have 'group polygons' checked in the numeric panel.

Surrealist.
01-16-2008, 04:00 AM
Also I forgot that there actually is a potential issue with smoothshift that may contribute to this problem.

Take a look here (http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76286&highlight=smooth+shift).

RudySchneider
01-16-2008, 09:17 AM
Not if you have 'group polygons' checked in the numeric panel.

AHA! Gotta bear that in mind! I've been using Smoothshift in cases where I'd prefer to use MultiShift, all because of this oversight. Thanks for the reminder.

roydee
01-16-2008, 12:50 PM
Thanks for the treat tips guys..
Surrealist ... your advice worked a treat.. I was able to delete all stray 2 point polys ( and I all had some 1 point ones in a fully completed model) in a jiffy and the final sub-patched result looks great. I have included a finished image for you info.
Rudy.. did you upscale or downscale during SMOOTHSHIFT?
Cagey... I will also remember to use MULTI-SHIFT during my future travels as I now know how it works with both the GROUP function turned On and OFF.
The only issue that it have is that in the rendered version the black patches have rather sharp ends which does not seem that good when rendered to larger sizes. Any ideas how this could be fixed??
Once again thanks heaps all.

RudySchneider
01-16-2008, 01:41 PM
Downscale. Though, I noticed that I had to work with only one "patch" at a time, because I'd get weird results if I was trying to smoothshift several patches (i.e., all of the black portions) at once.

Surrealist.
01-16-2008, 07:49 PM
Glad you got it sorted out. :)

The only issue that it have is that in the rendered version the black patches have rather sharp ends which does not seem that good when rendered to larger sizes. Any ideas how this could be fixed??
Once again thanks heaps all.

I noticed this in your model too. The reason is because you have to go in and select those corner black polys and rename them as the white surface.

You can do this in subpatch mode. This will give you rounded edges on the black.

PS: The ball looks real good. Nice job. :thumbsup:

roydee
01-17-2008, 02:05 PM
Hi Richard .. thanks heaps....I will give that a try later today...
BTW I have printed out your tutorial on subpatch modelling and I will spending some time on the week-end going through it. There is so much to learn in LW but I am enjoying is immensely.
Also, thanks to all you guys who responded to my call for help. It is a great community here and each time I have asked for help to solve a problem which I had battled on for hours, it has come almost instantly. So thanks once again..
Regards from Down Under

Surrealist.
01-17-2008, 03:17 PM
Glad you are enjoying the tutorial. Nice to see it getting used.

Happy modeling. :)