PDA

View Full Version : Dongles - I am sick and tired of them

Slaphead
07-10-2003, 08:10 AM
I assume most of you out there can get lightwave to work on Mac OS X whithout running in demo mode???

Typical, I can't. Here's my situation - Just loaded up Lightwave for the first time and guess what message appears:-

"Your license key was not found"

"Contact NewTek to get a permanant license key (product lock ------)"

Dongle is plugged into keyboard (has been tried on rear port of mac) - Light is on. Light wave now reinstalled 3 times. Apple system profiler detects dongle.

System is dual 450 G4 running 10.2.6 with 512mb ram

Why the hell do these prats insist on dongles. It took me 3 weeks to get solutions for FormZ and Electric Image re dongles - If this is going to happen again this product is going straight back (through the dealers window) and I'll have to content with the FormZ EI combo. All I f'ing want is a product that works out of the box.

Apologies for rant - Does anybody have any idea's

Cheers

Andy

serpicolugnut
07-10-2003, 08:24 AM
You have to contact Newtek for a license code. It's as simple as that. Give them a call. They'll ask for your serial #. They'll give you a license code that you will enter in to the License.key file. Start up LW with dongle attached, and you are good to go.

The dongle and the license key are used in tandem to prevent piracy. It's not the most efficient system, but it works.

Slaphead
07-10-2003, 08:32 AM
Cheers mate,

I'll do that. It might save the dealer a window ;)

Andy

Matt
07-10-2003, 09:28 AM
wouldn't post your product lock ID on here either, it is unique to your dongle, it's not as serious as posting your serial number but I'd still remove it!

Slaphead
07-10-2003, 10:10 AM
Cheers Matt. Product lock deleted.

I simply thought it was an error code. I'm surprised I didn't get some kind of grace period with the product. I thought most SW in which you had to apply for an unlock code gave you at least couple of weeks use before requiring it to be fully activated. It's not like it had been installed before as I removed the cellophane this very afternoon. However it had been sitting on my shelf for a bit while I finished off another project.

Cheers

Andy

Slaphead
07-10-2003, 10:22 AM
Just got the activation code (bloody efficient this newtek lot, I only mailed off for it about an hour ago) and eveything is fine.

Thanks all, for your help but no doubt I'll have a few newbie questions about it very soon ;)

Cheers

Andy

paintboy
07-10-2003, 10:33 AM
theres a wonderful thing that comes
with lightwave called a "Reference Guide".
the entire first chapter(5 pages, i know...its alot)) is devoted to:
hardwarelock installation,software installation
registration,how to obtain a License....etc.
great place to start,right at the front=)

Yeah,.... over there, big white thing.... looks like a phone book
just "chockers" with amazin stuff;)Yer gonna love it.

ackees
07-11-2003, 10:35 AM
I have 4 dongles for various software packages, what a waste of time they are, they only hinder legal users. I think it?s an outdated system, I notice Adobe got rid of their AFX production dongle in 5, with some luck LW will junk theirs in 8 and make the software cheaper and easier to update.

Lynx3d
07-11-2003, 04:33 PM
hehe, yea once you get a couple of softwares it gets ugly...well you could plug parallel dongles into each others but USB? (how are they looking? Still have 6.5 with parallel...)

btw, i thought that LW6 told me i got 15days or something to enter my permanent key before it goes to demo mode...you did enter the serial on the CD (or wherever it is now)?

theosmekhanes
07-12-2003, 10:22 AM
Death to the Dongle!!!

It does not work, It is easier to get a cracked version than to call Newtek to get some damned code. It only hinders legit users and limits LW's market penetration.

School Labs can't deal with the dongle so they get Maya instead.

Wake up NT!