PDA

View Full Version : progressive scan ccd and video composition

T-Light
07-10-2003, 07:03 AM
Hello.

Just recieved DFX+ in the post this week. Excellent stuff.:cool:

I'm looking into buying a new digital camcorder. With composition in mind, I've managed to round down the available list to three or four models.

However, Some cameras out there feature progressive scan ccd's (Captures an entire frame in one pass rather than 2 separate passes with interlaced fields).

When buying photographic gear, I usually go by the standard feature lists (lens quality, ccd size etc) and reviews. In this case unfortunately, reviewers aren't looking at the cameras from a composition point of view.

I'd like to know how a progressive ccd option would improve the composition process?

I would expect, in light of the fact that there are no interlaced fields to distort the individual images that this would be of an enormous benefit.

Anyone?

Aegis
07-13-2003, 08:32 PM
Shouldn't make a whole lot of difference - once inside DFX+ the software treats interlaced and non-interlaced frames identically - even so far as automatically fielding non-interlaced frames prior to rendering out (should you so wish it to).

There's no difference in visual quality between an interlaced frame and a non-interlaced frame although you do get far smoother video playback using fields.