PDA

View Full Version : How to edit AVCHD files with Speed Edit

Paul Vicente
01-14-2008, 03:51 PM
Hello All,

Panasonic has released a utility that does a great job of converting AVCHD files recorded on their consumer camcorder into DVCPROHD!

Here is the download link:

https://eww.pavc.panasonic.co.jp/pro...e/download.htm

It is called AVC-HD Transcoder. You can find it a bit down on the page. I downloaded it, and it works like a charm. The end files work perfectly in Speed Edit 1.5 and the quality is excellent.

Regards,
Paul Vicente

ted
01-14-2008, 10:18 PM
Thanks for the link Paul. I'm sure clients will be bringing this to us more and more. Although, we've been playing with a Sony AVCHD camera and frankly, from our experience, the format sucks in our opinion. JOHO.

SBowie
01-15-2008, 06:38 AM
What shortcomings have you observed, Ted?

ted
01-15-2008, 10:18 AM
Giving credit to the fact that the camera is only a $1,300 camera, we weren't expecting too much from it. It didn't impress us when we did tests in the studio against our Betacam and HVX. Not expecting it to be near equal, just not this bad.
My lighting guy who's Dad bought it for him said the compression sukked even considering to the poor camera quality. The compression was just too much.

What people have to remember, AVCHD is all about saving space. If that's peoples only concern, great. But there is a balance between full 4-4-4 and just bad video. :D Too much is too much. JMHO

To be fair, I'll need to comare a higher end AVCHD cam, and then compare the compression from there.

SBowie
01-15-2008, 10:35 AM