PDA

View Full Version : Without a Trace...

pumeco
01-14-2008, 02:32 PM
How do I remove LightWave - completely - without a trace?

I've decided to do a fresh install because it's about time I installed 9.3.1 on my system. I know I don't have to remove my previous LightWave first, but I want to because I've been messing about with files'n'stuff, menus are in a pretty bad state, and for some reason help will no longer work from the menu.

I've tried removing it completely by uninstalling LightWave, then deleting any folders and registry entries I could find, but still, the bloody thing is retaining my previous menus and plugins etc - so how on earth do I get rid of it completely?

Is there a 'clean-out' tool available for LightWave, or something to that effect?
It's keeping settings, and I don't know where it's getting them from.

cagey5
01-14-2008, 02:45 PM
You'll need to get rid of all the configs too. Often they are parked in the 'Documents and Settings' folder.
A search for 'lw*.cfg' should find them.

cagey5
01-14-2008, 02:47 PM
Double post

Hopper
01-14-2008, 05:33 PM
You'll need to get rid of all the configs too. Often they are parked in the 'Documents and Settings' folder.
A search for 'lw*.cfg' should find them.
:agree:
Yup. What he said. They will be in the same folder as your login name (i.e. "C:\Documents and Settings\Hopper").

Assuming LW 9.x:

LW9.CFG
LWEXT9.CFG
LWHUB9.CFG
LWM9.CFG

If you are using 8.x, just replace 9 with 8.

I would also look at other plugin config files in the same location - such as:

BandSaw.cfg
lwcad2lw2.cfg
lwpc_edgebevel.cfg
lwpclocotran.cfg
lwpc_pnmove.cfg
etc...

Most of these files contain your "last settings" and profiles such as multishift, etc...

Just be careful not to remove any non-LightWave config files. If you are not sure, simply make a copy of ALL .cfg files and put them somewhere else until you're sure you don't need them for some other program. Most LW config files are text files and can be viewed with Notepad/Wordpad, etc...

Hope that helps.

hrgiger
01-14-2008, 06:11 PM
I've decided to do a completely fresh install of Lightwave and I've found a way to do it that will have no trace whatsoever of a former install of Lightwave. I bought a new system.

colkai
01-15-2008, 03:05 AM
That'll work ;)

As I normally just copy my directory across and use a custom config area, deleting that usually is good to go. :)

pumeco
01-15-2008, 07:01 AM
Thanks all.

Well, I found the .CFG files so it sure looks like that was the problem :thumbsup:
I'll give it another bash tonight, cheers!

Exception
01-15-2008, 10:07 AM
Perhaps good to know: lw doesn't really do anything in the windows registry (save for the location of its uninstall data), so you can leave that alone.

pumeco
01-15-2008, 12:34 PM
I wasn't aware of that, cheers :)
LightWave installation seems to differ a lot to other packages.

colkai
01-16-2008, 02:56 AM
You betcha and that's one of the things I love about it.
Got a USB disk -check, got a dongle.. check - okay, you and your LW can travel anyplace. :)

Phil
01-16-2008, 04:33 AM
Assuming that you can install the dongle driver, yes. I wish the dongle driver could be contained in the programs, making LW truly portable. The UB version does this.

pumeco
01-16-2008, 05:44 AM
Portable LightWave sounds good, and I actually prefer it this way.
I hate stuff that messes with the registry.

Hopper
01-16-2008, 09:41 PM
Assuming that you can install the dongle driver, yes. I wish the dongle driver could be contained in the programs, making LW truly portable. The UB version does this.
Or better yet, since LW is small enough and the capacity of thumb drives are getting past the 8GB mark, they should simply ship you just the dongle that has the LW installation ON it. They could probably cram the content on it too for that matter. Either install it on your local drive or run it from the dongle.

Now THAT's portable.