PDA

View Full Version : Stupid point question

IMI
01-13-2008, 08:09 AM
I'm having a brainlock here. I can't remember if I've ever done it before, or how to do it or even if it can be done, but how could I add points along a curve?
I mean, I have this curve I've been working on in Modeler and I'm planning on lathing it, but I'd like to have more points in certain locations between existing points. Can I add to it, or do I need to kill the polygon then add the points, then create the polygon again manually?
Actually I guess it's technically not a curve, if it's a polygon.

cagey5
01-13-2008, 08:24 AM
Knife tool?

IMI
01-13-2008, 08:41 AM
I've tried that, but it doesn't work on a curve, after making one out of points with ctrl+p.
It works on ploygons, but leaves point which have to be deleted.
From what I remember of my Rhino days, there was a tool called "insert knot" which simply snapped a new point onto a curve, wherever you placed it.
Knife is fine, but if I go ahead and add a bunch of points quickly, then I have to delete a bunch of unwanted points. Not a big deal, but I was hoping for something which doesn't add anything else but points.
Thanks, though.

Pomfried
01-13-2008, 09:20 AM
Have you tried selecting your curve in polygon selectionmode, hopping over to the multiply tab and then under the subdivide category clicking on "Add Points"? Wherever you click on your curve now, a new point will be added.

IMI
01-13-2008, 09:25 AM
Huh!
No, I hadn't tried that. I always assumed that was just the point creation tool. it never even occurred to me to try that.
Yes, that's exactly what I was looking for! Thank you. :)

hrgiger
01-14-2008, 06:17 PM
The only problem with that is it will distort your original curve which will then require some manual adjustment to get back to the original shape. But that might not be a big deal for you.

colkai
01-15-2008, 03:04 AM
If you need to add more than one to refine it, it may be easier to re-create using the curve to rebuild the new number of points.

arrow1234
01-16-2008, 02:59 PM
The only problem with that is it will distort your original curve which will then require some manual adjustment to get back to the original shape. But that might not be a big deal for you.

manual adjustment.. do u mean just moving some points by using move tool?
somehow i think i can re-modify the curve by dragging the head and the tail of the spline, or is that another thing called nurb?

IMI
01-16-2008, 03:18 PM
manual adjustment.. do u mean just moving some points by using move tool?
somehow i think i can re-modify the curve by dragging the head and the tail of the spline, or is that another thing called nurb?

No, he meant that a point added between two points on a curve can bend it out of shape. It can deform it alot if the points are far apart, just a little if they're close together.
Actually, since learning this can be done, my curve work has gotten quicker. Doing it this way I don't have to feel pressured to get it perfect the first time, and can just quickly block something in, then add as needed. I gave it a keyboard shortcut - CTRL+A, so I can hit that, click on the curve, hit CTRL+T for Drag, move it into a better place, and continue along that way. It's actually a whole lot faster for me now.

Surrealist.
01-17-2008, 02:59 AM
Another cool tool to look into is the Bezier tool. Open up the numeric panel and set the curve points to something more manageable than the 16 default. Pull the handles around to adjust. Click to add another curve and so on. When you are done you can merge them to make one. Just another thing to look at that gives you another kind of control for some things.

meshpig
01-17-2008, 05:10 AM

arrow1234

Nurbs stands for "non uniform rational basis splines"-

http://web.cs.wpi.edu/~matt/courses/cs563/talks/nurbs.html

-if that's useful?.

m

IMI
01-17-2008, 03:19 PM
Another cool tool to look into is the Bezier tool. Open up the numeric panel and set the curve points to something more manageable than the 16 default. Pull the handles around to adjust. Click to add another curve and so on. When you are done you can merge them to make one. Just another thing to look at that gives you another kind of control for some things.

Yeah, that's true. I have hardly ever used bezier, and forgot about being able to type in the number. Might have to give it a go next time I need a curve.