PDA

View Full Version : New Mac Pro (+ 3rd party RAM) What do People Think?

Glendalough
01-12-2008, 07:55 AM
Thanks again all who answered my thread and gave expert advice about getting 3rd party ram for a G5. Now the latest Mac Pro is finally out, I am in need of a bit more help!

Firstly, have been waiting so long to get a proper desktop that I was hoping to buy this immediately, but have reservations on 2 points: Is the graphics card okay, at least passable? At the moment I have the 64mg which came with the original G5 so whould think that this 256 is a tremendous improvement. Have never worked with a high-end graphics card anyway (except when working for a firm about 6 years ago) so am used to getting by with default on all Macs I've ever had.

The second reservation is, I hope, just a silly worry: Is it better to wait a few weeks to buy a new release/issue of a model in case there is some (design?) fault or glitch that isn't going to be realized until it hits the general public?

And finally, when would 3rd party ram be available for these new models? Like would it be a month or so, or would it be more like half a year or more?

Any info or ideas would be greatly appreciated!

cresshead
01-12-2008, 10:57 AM
i'd be looking at selecting the nvidia 8800 512 ram...i'm 'off' ati ever since my g4mac mini which has ati graphics made lightwave nr unusable with lightwave modeler,...screen drawing errors

as for ram i'll wait until crucial or whoever offer macpro compatible ram and see what their prices are.

the macpro is looking pretty neat though!

Scazzino
01-12-2008, 12:29 PM
A few weeks won't matter one way or the other. If there is a manufacturing glitch, which is rare, but does happen now and then, it would take months for it to surface, be acknowledged and then remedied. Whenever that rarely happens, it typically gets resolved through a warranty extension etc.

I've had ATI graphics on all my Macs for years, including my latest 8-core 3GHz Mac Pro and never had any major troubles.

I get my RAM from OtherWorld Computing. They typically have RAM for new machines within a week or so... they already list the new 800MHz RAM for the new Mac Pros (http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memory/Mac-Pro-Memory)...

:D

Glendalough
01-13-2008, 05:00 AM
Thanks Scazzino for all the info and link. Looks like I can start working on this first thing Monday morning!

Thanks cresshead for the input, I'm located in the Euro-zone (Ireland) most of the time so think to order from Crucial as well. As Other World Computing has it already it shouldn't be too long a wait I'm hoping.