PDA

View Full Version : Midi to control animation

digartisan
01-11-2008, 05:08 PM
Can I use a MIDI file (music track) to control the movements or colors of an object in Layout?

Hopper
01-11-2008, 05:26 PM
I will not say that I am 100% positive, but I'm fairly certain that you can't. You can use .WAV files. A MIDI file is simply an instruction and not an actual audio wave sampling and I'm thinking that's how the graph editor needs to see it.

mrpapabeis
01-11-2008, 05:51 PM
Well.... yes and no.... There is a model I played with in "Poser" that took MIDI files. It was a "calliope piano". The MIDI file drove the keyboard. You added the sound in post. MIDI files contain pitch, volume, and duration. There are devices in LW that allow you to use one type of parameter to drive another. Its a matter of getting the info from the MIDI file.

GP

RedBull
01-11-2008, 05:59 PM
I believe it could or can be done via Lscript, as Bob Hood at one point had scripts call Midiman, there are also various Joystick controllers that work via Midi input directly in LW.

Search Google for "Midiman for Lightwave"

Hopper
01-12-2008, 02:23 PM
Ok ... so I'm fairly certain you can't use a MIDI file "naturally" in LW :D

Considering a MIDI file is simply a text file, I have to agree with RedBull. You can do anything with LScript that it will allow you to do, or you can write a "real" plugin with the SDK and take full control. There are plenty of MIDI C++ libraries out there.

Sounds like an interesting project.

walfridson
01-12-2008, 03:22 PM
http://www.interialabs.de/lw/lscript/index.html No what this does really but.... :)

zapper1998
01-12-2008, 03:57 PM
I have the plugin

Just have never used it, hmmmmm

Have to remember i have it