PDA

View Full Version : How important are triangles in games?

blinblue
07-09-2003, 07:40 PM
I was noticing how often games use triangles instead of polygons. Is it that important either way? Or is there some major advantage to tris?

Thanks

Castius
07-09-2003, 09:05 PM
Major, yes. Tries are important because they are always flat/planer. This makes sure a surface never has holes. Polygons/Ngons is nothing more then a group of tries. When they are rendered they are converts to triangles. They are not good for games because you can fold them in ways that can cause holes.

Ps: if anyone gives you a the poly count of a game model make sure they mean triangles other wise there triangle count could be double the poly count

blinblue
07-09-2003, 09:15 PM
So do most 3D engines automactly convert it into tris? or do you have to do it before hand?

Also, how can you really model using tris as your polygon (that is, when you select under the General Options panel), as you can't subdivide without weird problems.

And, what is the best way to turn a object with polys into a object with tris (I know you can triangulate it by pressing "T") and still have it smooth (as you probably know subpatching doesn't work too well with tris).

Well I really got to go to bed now.

Castius
07-10-2003, 10:06 AM
You don't want the engine to triangulate your mesh. For one you can have odd results. Two if your doing it on the fly your wasting CPU/GPU cycles. Third if your not editing in mostly tries when you almost done with your model you are probable wasting tries. I try to model in quads as long as I can but you should really be focused on optimizing with tries at for the final model.

Poly count in games is really starting to skyrocket so alot of this is not as inportant as it once was but it is still very inportant.

blinblue
07-10-2003, 01:44 PM
Thanks a lot
BTW, what is a "typical" amount of polygons that a frame in a high-end game have(like new 3D shooters with lots of AI)?