PDA

View Full Version : article on the G5 and the industry -

toby
07-09-2003, 06:48 PM
http://www.thomas-fitzgerald.net/mt_test/archives/000018.html

Darth Mole
07-10-2003, 10:09 AM
Despite a few innaccuracies and an awful lot of wishful thinking, it does give this particular Mac zealot a warm, fuzzy feeling inside...

js33
07-10-2003, 11:46 AM
Could the G5 become the new SGI?

I always wanted an SGI just because everytime you saw a promo piece of ILM or any high end studio they always had an SGI.

But now the price/performance ratio is so lopsided on an SGI that you would either have to have a need for that machine or be an idiot to buy one.

Cheers,
JS

Aegis
07-10-2003, 06:32 PM
You mean ultra-expensive *nix-based workstations that eventually became PC-clones with fancy graphics cards? ;)

js33
07-10-2003, 06:47 PM
Yeah they tried their hand at making PC clones but I remember they were still expensive and no better than any other comparable PC at the time. I believe they just went back to making overpriced under powered Irix machines.:D

Cheers,
JS

Beamtracer
07-10-2003, 08:06 PM
Apple goes for the "high-end" of post production. There are not many "unit sales" to be gained from selling to such a specialized niche.

What Apple gains is prestige. It's the prestige effect that filters down to the masses, to the consumers, to the people who dream of working in film and television. Even if they don't work in the industry now, they buy a Mac because they hope that one day they will.

Newtek should also concentrate on marketing to the high-end, as once you've captured that, the rest will just follow.

policarpo
07-10-2003, 11:01 PM
Brand and product is everything in a consumer driven marketplace.

The company with the best brands and products get the most eyeballs and therefore the right combination of cash and consumer driven loyalty.

It's the curse and beauty of capitalism.

I for one will never again buy a PC.

I am once again a Mac based artist until Apple disappears and takes us all back to the dimension from where it came...

ahh...to be back in Valhalla!!!:D

Darth Mole
07-11-2003, 01:57 AM
I'll second that.

Hopefully, by then I'll be too old and decrepit to spend my days fiddling with polygons...

policarpo
07-11-2003, 02:00 AM
well...when we're that old...the polygons we will be fiddling with will be the same ones we were fiddling with when we were 13....:eek:

Beamtracer
07-11-2003, 07:32 AM
Originally posted by policarpo
well...when we're that old...the polygons we will be fiddling with will be the same ones we were fiddling with when we were 13....:eek: When you're that old you deserve to be still fiddling with polygons. Just don't fiddle with your dongle!