PDA

View Full Version : Good move to buy 2 1TB external drives to store clips for future project?

ken07
01-11-2008, 06:19 AM
This summer, when I am very busy, I have to edit together a 2 hour video.
I would like to take over 100 hours of dv tape and by using firewire on my VT, directly transfer clips to an external storage hard drive that I can use later. I would be able to catalog and transfer my footage from dv to the hard drives via firewire to usb. First is this okay without loss thru the USB on the external drives?
Secondly, I should be able to have these clips in the original dv codec for editing, right?
I have 4.6 now but am buying 5.0...I have 4 73 gig scsi video drives, that I would drag the storage clips into to make the different segemnts of the video. As I finish the segment,I would clean out the video drives and copy the clips from the external video drives at that time. Does this make sense and does anyone see why it would not work?
I can buy thru tiger direct a fantom G force 1tb for $269. 7200 16mb
usb2.0 Again I would not use this in timeline but just to start putting the dv clips into the external hard drives so I do not have to do that later.
Also I would buy a second external drive to copy the first one too...in case it went bad, I would have all that work backed up twice.
I am assuming that I would have no loss on the transfer of dv clips this way and would not have to capture in the newtek codec or such..just use what I shot it in. I had been manually transfering via the vt capture in edit.
thanks in advance, Ken

ted
01-11-2008, 10:48 AM
Ken, you won't lose any quality by transferring the "data" to another drive. Just do a simple copy of the "files".

If you "capture" from the timeline you will lose some, (maybe not noticable), quality depending on what "format" you captured to.

By the title, I thought you were buying a 21 TB dirve. I was wondering where you found a drive so big! :D

bbeanan
01-11-2008, 11:18 AM
Me 2 Ted... I wanted to see what a 21TB drive would cost... I was just looking at a 4TB for $2k...

UnCommonGrafx
01-11-2008, 02:49 PM
It has taken me ALL DAY to figure this one out. Now that I have, I see I should have come back earlier for the answer...

:)

21 terabyte. Boy, I got excited.

ken07
01-11-2008, 04:13 PM
I just can't type correctly... I meant (2) 1 TB drives, LOL.
I guess I would have to transfer the dv footage to my faster video drives, then transfer by usb to the double 1tb drives...then when I want to work on a segment, just drag the files I want from the storage to the video play drives and master it out in segments, then start over, Right?

bbeanan
01-11-2008, 05:05 PM
Or just work on the files on the 1TB drives it's what I do all the time...

wvp
01-13-2008, 01:44 PM
We regularly "off-line" our projects and occasionally "on-line" them again months later.
You may want to look into one of the Lacie (or others) 2 drive raid externals - you could have 2 drives in one box raided so that you have instant backup without needed to copy & re-copy.
You may also be able to edit right from it (As Brett does), depends on how many layers your dealing with.
Either way, put all the assets for each project in its own folder and you can copy it back & forth from the external.