PDA

View Full Version : Using Motion Backgrounds

SteelPicR
01-11-2008, 01:25 AM
I’m just now experimenting with building live sets in Aura. How would you add a motion background, (something like a Digital Juice background), to a 2 box set? I would like to use this in post as well as live. I still have the toaster 2 card and SX-8 with VT5.

I’m not understanding the use of animated layers in the live set constructor docs for Aura. Can someone please explain how they are used?

Thanks…

SteelPicR
01-11-2008, 07:41 AM
Bob's 3rd channel for the backgrounds?

Randy Rouse
01-11-2008, 08:46 AM
If I understand correctly it could be set up like this in Aura:

Bottom Layer - full screen video plane; DSK, Animated background in DDR
Middle Layer - PIP video plane; Input, Live camera shoot 1
Top layer - PIP video plane; FX, Live camera shoot 2

SBowie
01-11-2008, 08:51 AM
If you want a moving element in *any* LiveSet, it has to come in via one of the switcher sources - Input, FX, DSK or Preview.

Consider, for example, a very simple scenario - the old 60's shot of actors wiggling their arms in front of a greenscreen, keyed over a 'wormhole/time vortex' swirling in the background:

In this case, in Aura you would use an Input layer, scaled appropriately and with LiveMatte on, and (probably) a fullscreen FX layer below. In Input Setup, you would assign the simple LiveSet to Main, line up your talent there, and turn on and tweak LiveMatte while you're at it.

Your 'wormhole' would be in a DDR (presuming you don't have a live wormhole on cam in your studio? ;)), which you would select on the Effect row of the switcher. This would leave your Preview and DSK free for other purposes.

(Of course, this could simple setup could be done without LiveSet, but I'm just trying to explain the method in simple terms.)

SteelPicR
01-11-2008, 01:18 PM
Thanks guys, that helps. Now if I can figure out what the animated layers are used for as mentioned in the docs.

SBowie
01-11-2008, 01:46 PM
You sure you're referring to the LiveSet docs? As opposed to the DVE (Wipe Builder) docs? Animated layers are used in those as both overlays and to designate the nature of the wipe ... but in the LiveSet Generator, they are only for creating multiple shots.

SteelPicR
01-11-2008, 03:00 PM
Yes Steve. The LiveSet docs for Aura do mention the animated layers but I did not understand the way they were used in the creation of of a live set. I see from your post that they are for multiple shots. Thanks.

SBowie
01-11-2008, 03:51 PM
The LiveSet docs for Aura do mention the animated layers but I did not understand the way they were used in the creation of of a live set. Cool - just thought I'd check.

In that case, starting at the heading "MULTI-SHOT LIVESETS", and continuing through the sub-headings "AURA’S LAYER TYPES" and "FRAME SELECTIONS" may help. :)