PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave dual core

toorima
01-10-2008, 02:37 PM
hey all,

I was told today that when using Lightwave on a duo core pc, Lightwave will only use 1 core thus being rather slow. Is this true? is there anything I can do to change that?

Titus
01-10-2008, 02:38 PM
Why don't you make your own tests and discover is this is true?

Maxx
01-10-2008, 02:48 PM
By default layout will set itself to use the number of cores in your machine. You can knock it down to 1 thread rendering if you want to, though why you would want to is a bit beyond me. As neverko noted, however, there are some plug-ins and native things that do not support multi-threading, and those will always calculate/render on a single core. Well, they will until they're updated and made multi-threaded, if possible.

toorima
01-10-2008, 02:51 PM
okay well I am modeling a scene and in the seen I have a robot sort of being. When I try to move the camera around, play with the lighes, move an object everything seems alittle laggy but when I add a skelegon in modeler than convert it to bones in layout everything just becomes so laggy it seems unresponsive.

Dexter2999
01-10-2008, 02:55 PM
lag could be redraw which is Open GL

what is your your video card and how much RAM?

Titus
01-10-2008, 02:55 PM
It seems my answer was a little rude. What I was meant, some small scenes and short render times (a few seconds) render faster using one core, but for large scenes using both is faster.

LW historically is a program very friendly with multithreading renders.

toorima
01-10-2008, 03:02 PM
Intel core 2 @1.86 +1.86
1 gig of ram
NVIDIA GeFORCE 8600GT OC

Dexter2999
01-10-2008, 05:19 PM
That card should be good even with the smaller 256meg of RAM

maybe your OGL settings in preferences in Layout
turn off texture and try flat shaded

Maxx
01-10-2008, 07:32 PM
Also check to make sure you're running the latest drivers for the card. Might help.

RedBull
01-10-2008, 09:24 PM
A lot of the transformations and deformations are CPU bound and would only support a single core, especially bone type deformations.... (This is the same is all 3D software to my knowledge) there just aren't that many places or algorithms that are easily parallelized.

But check the OGL settings as mentioned, and look at CPU/Memory taskmanger to work out whats happening CPU wise. If your using Vista OGL is likely 10% slower than XP.

We should have a standard OGL Framerate test scene for LW, but we don't! :)

BeeVee
01-11-2008, 03:15 AM
I always use the old Bladerunner scene with the framerate meter attached to the "Skinner_body" (sic) object, but I know that people new to LightWave since 8 won';t have that scene. Oh I also make the Layout window as small as it will go.

toorima, you don't say what OS you are using? If Vista, then your machine doesn't have enough memory, and to RedBull, if using the Aero interface I find Vista is actually faster than XP for OpenGL, particularly when the screen has many windows on it.

B