PDA

View Full Version : Landscape in water

fredklemetsen
01-10-2008, 04:31 AM
I am trying to make an illustration of where a German submarine (U-864) sank in the sea and tell how it looks like today.
I do have the model (bought it) but I am trying to figure out how to make the bottom of the sea where the u-864 is located.

I have attached the map and wonder how I can make this in LW?

I am quite new to LW.
Any suggestions

Thanks

Fred

pooby
01-10-2008, 04:56 AM
The best method would be to use a displacement map, which, for the sake of clarity, I will assume you aren't familiar with.
This is a black and white image that 'pushes' the geometry - see link

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Displacement_mapping

this will be a lot easier than trying to model it.
You can paint them with photoshop, but ideally you'd use a sculpting program such as Zbrush or Mudbox or Modo or Blender etc to make the map.
You then apply that to a subdivided plane in layout.

JBT27
01-10-2008, 06:37 AM
On that same point, I note there appear to be contours on that map.

You could create an initial displacement map for the basic topography by creating different levels for each height change.

Like the quick sketchy image attached.

Blur it before using it. The topo will be crude but it will have a reasonable approximation of the peaks and troughs of the real topo, and so then you can tighten the detail by sculpting, as pooby says, or by using more refined displacement maps for that fine detail.

Julian.

jaf
01-10-2008, 06:49 PM
I've been messing with 3D Brush to make terrain objects, so I would be tempted to try this (I'm assuming you want an overhead render):

In LW, create a box, sized to the amount of ocean floor you need (use the size of the model you are using to set the scale) and add a little depth. Export it as an OBJ or Lightwave object.

Import the box (un-smoothed) into 3D Brush and use the sculpting pens to mimic the ocean floor. You may want to texture your floor in 3D Brush or do that task when you import back into LW and position your model for rendering.

Other 3D paint programs could easily handle this too, but 3D Brush has a very nice price for an application you may only use (for this type of job) once in-a-while.

fredklemetsen
01-19-2008, 01:00 PM
Thank you! I ended up using the displacement map.

Fred