PDA

View Full Version : Do you need XDCAM HD MXF support?

ScorpioProd
01-09-2008, 06:44 PM
Since I am now moving to XDCAM HD myself, I'm just curious if there are any other current users that need support for this format in SpeedEDIT. Note that this is XDCAM HD MXF I am asking about in this poll, this is NOT the XDCAM EX format. Thanks.

ted
01-09-2008, 10:57 PM
Just to be clear, I don't NEED it, but I would LIKE to see it.
I don't want to scew your poll.

Geomagnetica
01-10-2008, 10:23 AM
I'm seriously looking to purchase the new PDW-700 camera from Sony, so any support for XDCAM HD would certainly be welcome.

Gary :)

blueisland
02-07-2008, 12:45 PM
XDCAM hd is going to be very big. The ex1 will see to that. It's essential after all the work Newtek have done on speededit to support this format. If not it would be like not supporting DVCAM which will come to an end soon.

I definately need XDCAM hd support. It would be nice to hear it's being worked on. Thanks Newtek

rbartlett
02-07-2008, 03:38 PM
In fact, the XDCAM EX range has a head start over XDCAM HD MXF files. The lack of the MXF container being the main reason. Sony apparently brought the MP4 wrapper into play out of the CineAlta factory dating from a design to production run that was longer in the duration than the F3xx range. Others have said that MP4 wrapped MPEG-2 came about on the EX1 because Adobe had no plans to support the MXF format in either the Sony or Panasonic flavors.

Whatever the truth of it, XDCAM HD support is currently lacking in SpeedEDIT/SpeedEDIT-VT. But NAB is close.....

ScorpioProd
02-07-2008, 04:14 PM
And at NAB I expect the new XDCAM HD 4:2:2 50Mb/s camcorder to use the MXF wrapper.

And therefore SpeedEDIT not supporting it or the F3xx line.

It's a higher-end market in the XDCAM HD world.

Sony Vegas Pro 8, Apple FCP, T/GV EDIUS 4.5 all support Sony XDCAM HD.

ted
02-07-2008, 07:07 PM
It would be nice if Sony would settle on one format, at least for a few camera builds. :D
Look how many cameras Panasonic has released with the same DVCPro/DVCPro HD codec.
This bites for software makers and end users as well.

ScorpioProd
02-07-2008, 07:21 PM
It would be nice if Sony would settle on one format, at least for a few camera builds. :D
Look how many cameras Panasonic has released with the same DVCPro/DVCPro HD codec.
This bites for software makers and end users as well.
Cough... Cough... AVC-Intra... ;)

ted
02-07-2008, 09:24 PM
Cough, cough, Marketed to a different set of customers. Not trying to upsell to the same people. :D
But hey, Sony is big enough to do that over and over, but get away with it.

Just to be clear, I can sometimes be interpreted as sounding harsh the way I word things. No harshness intended, just playing with ya. :D

ScorpioProd
02-08-2008, 12:01 AM
I know, Ted. :D

But thing is, I really don't think Sony is selling to the same set of customers, either.

Remember, Sony's MXF came out with the original XDCAM that came out in 2004. So it has been out as a container for four years unchanged, AFAIK. The internal codecs in the container starting out as the DVCAM and IMX codecs for the first two years, and then the MPEG-2 codecs for HD in the last two years. But Sony MXF as a container is still Sony MXF.

Now we have the XDCAM EX line, which I really don't see marketed toward the same market as XDCAM HD is. And it uses the MP4 wrapper, and the same internal MPEG-2 codecs as XDCAM HD. But this is their first new wrapper in over four years, again, AFAIK.

I think the XDCAM EX-1 is a cool camera, but it just doesn't fit what I need like the XDCAM HD line does.

vncnt
02-08-2008, 12:13 AM
My first priority is to be able to edit:
1. Infinity mxf/jpeg2000
2. EX1 mp4/mpeg2

Collegues from other divisions are also going to rent:
3. XDCAM HD
4. HDV
In my situation XDCAM HD support would be nice but writing to XDCAM HD might be even more interesting for painless exchange.

bobgilles
02-11-2008, 10:46 PM
I have two gigs with the EX1 coming my way.

digitalpost
02-17-2008, 09:22 PM
I have two gigs with the EX1 coming my way.

Bob,
You will LOVE the EX-1. I've been working with mine since Nov. One of our locals did the Training DVD for the EX-1. We worked with pre-release beta versions of the camera.
http://www.vortexmedia.com/EX1DVD/EX1DVD.html

I'm the old dude running the EX-1 in the B-Roll shots.
The user preset section in the camera gives you ultimate control and
tweakability. Enjoy it!!
And BTW.... the files are read in SE without any conversion.:thumbsup:

ScorpioProd
02-17-2008, 10:46 PM
:hijack:
Guys, please, this thread is about needed XDCAM HD support, NOT XDCAM EX.

ted
02-18-2008, 05:39 PM
:tsktsk: :)

digitalpost
02-19-2008, 11:13 PM
oh boy.. Bob. I guess I should have emailed you offline.
With all the other talk about the EX-1 in this thread and the close general format, I must have forgotten which thread I was posting to.
Having both PDW-350 and 330 format in our workflow we vote for all XDCAM support so count my vote a yes.
That's a YES to ALL XDCAM support.

bobgilles
02-25-2008, 05:40 PM
If so, this topic pertains to the EX1. I want to use
Speededit at work, so far I just use it at home.

ScorpioProd
02-25-2008, 06:48 PM
No offense to anyone, it's just as the original poster, I feel I'm in a good position to state that, no, this thread doesn't have anything to do with the EX-1.

They do use the same codecs internally, but that doesn't help the fact that SpeedEDIT doesn't support the Sony MXF wrapper, making it not possible for XDCAM HD to work with it.

The EX-1 uses the MP4 wrapper, with the same internal codecs, and SpeedEDIT does support it, so there's no problem there, be happy. :)

But for me, I now have my XDCAM HD gear, and I can no longer use SpeedEDIT for my editing.

There are no plans to add this support any time soon, so that is why I started this thread. That's why I'm concerned about it getting diluted with EX-1 stuff.

Again, no offense to anyone, it's just XDCAM HD support is a MAJOR concern for me now.

Jim_C
02-25-2008, 06:52 PM
:hijack:
Guys, please, this thread is about needed XDCAM HD support, NOT XDCAM EX.

Eugene's about the most laid back forum member I have ever seen. If he whips out the sign carrying bandit you KNOW the thread is important to him...

:D

Rich Deustachio
03-02-2008, 11:11 AM
Eugene which camera did you get? Also maybe it would help if you sent NewTek a couple of clip samples so they an work on making it compatible in the future.

ScorpioProd
03-02-2008, 06:36 PM
Eugene which camera did you get? Also maybe it would help if you sent NewTek a couple of clip samples so they an work on making it compatible in the future.

Sony PDW-F335 with Canon KH20x6.4-KRS HDgc.

Newtek has clips from XDCAM HD.

Rich Deustachio
03-07-2008, 02:21 PM
How do you like the Sony PDW-F335 so far for event. Seems a little bit of overkill for event to me. I am leaning towards the 270 even though I know the quality isn't the same, but the price difference is large.

NewTek really does need to support all of Sony's formats.

ScorpioProd
03-08-2008, 02:02 AM
I'll have to report back once I've started using it. It only came 2 weeks ago, right when I was getting ready to leave for my ski trip. And I've been busy with some corporate jobs this week.

I hope to use it on a real job next week.

Oh, it's definitely overkill for events, no question.

The S270 should be a great camera, but...

The dropouts I had recently with HDV tape really scared me.

And how good will the low light abilities be for the S270.

And the lens that comes with it is no where near long enough on the telephoto.

But still, I'm not saying it won't be a good camera.

ScorpioProd
03-08-2008, 02:10 AM
Opps... Duplicate.