PDA

View Full Version : First Personal HD Camcorder Purchase

brians0105
01-09-2008, 05:12 PM
Well, I bought myself a Christmas present... the JVC GZHD7 1080i camcorder. Going from a MiniDV SD Panasonic DV-953, this camera looks amazing on an HDTV.

It is a 3CCD 1080i camera that records AVCHD onto the internal 60GB hard drive. While its picture doesn't look as good as the JVC HD110U's that I have used before, it works fine for personal use and smal projects. It also cost 1/10 of what the HD110U did.

I haven't tried to edit any of the footage on SpeedEdit because I don't own a copy, but have it where I work. I use Avid Xpress Pro at home to edit projects... please don't kill me! I am unable to edit my AVCHD files in Avid without purchasing a conversion software. I went out and purchsed Pinnacle/Avid Studio 11 Plus, which allows me to do simple edits with the HD footage.

Once I test out this footage w/ SpeedEdit to see if it works, I might end up buying SE for my personal computer.

Does anyone else have any experience with a "prosumer" camera like this? Just curious to see if anyone else has any thoughts.

Brian

brians0105
01-09-2008, 07:25 PM
Well, after doing some reading on here about AVCHD and SpeedEdit, it sounds like I won't have much luck, yet.

Like I said, I'm up and running with Pinnacle Studio 11, but it would be nice to use a more advanced editor, like SpeedEdit.

But anyways, anyone used this camera yet? Thoughts?