PDA

View Full Version : Schooling

greeb1957
01-09-2008, 12:15 PM
I am looking for a good school where i can learn Lightwave, i have to start looking soon, as i am finished highschool in june.

Steamthrower
01-09-2008, 12:19 PM
I see you're in Ontario...both Toronto and Montreal are known for having a lot of CG studios, perhaps you could get an internship there...

Also probably the most widely known "Lightwave-specific" school is the DAVE school in Florida. Another well-regarded school is Gnomon, however they teach Maya.

AbnRanger
01-09-2008, 02:34 PM
I am looking for a good school where i can learn Lightwave, i have to start looking soon, as i am finished highschool in june.
Above, where you initially click on discussion forums, you will see "Training Centers" above it in the drop down list.
That's one way.
The other thing is that Lightwave doesn't have as big of a footprint in Universities as does Maya or 3ds Max...just be aware that if it HAS to be Lightwave, you may have to travel.
Also, there has been MUCH discussion as to whether it's even necessary or beneficial to learn this skillset at a college...unlike most other professions.
Check those discussions out first

dweinkauf
01-09-2008, 03:03 PM
I started the Cinema program at Edinboro University of Pennsylvania in the late 60's. In the 80's, we brought NewTek, Video Flyers, Toasters and Lightwave into the program. The Toasters are still there along with Mirage, Aura, and Lightwave (There are plans to add Speed Edit soon). Steve Carpenter, who is one of our former students, and who worked as a Lightwave animator in the business in LA for ten years, teaches many courses, independent and special projects in Lightwave which is used exclusively for 3D computer animation. The program's faculty also includes a Disney features animator and a 3D animator from the Wil Vinton studio. The Animation program, rated one of the top 15 programs in the country by Animation Magazine, allows a student to major in Cinema with concentrations in Animation and/or Film/Video and with a strong background in the fine arts. It is a four year program whose graduates have no trouble getting jobs in the industry (Their professional credits and places of employment are too numerous to mention here). The program is located in the university's Art Department. The university's web site is: www.edinboro.edu. The Cinema program's page is: http://webs.edinboro.edu/pubrel/admissions/brochures/cinema.pdf

beverins
01-09-2008, 03:29 PM
We have a basic program to learn Lightwave in Long Island University, Brooklyn. We also have Maya, which Autodesk gave to us for free, but for the moment we have more Lightwave-centric teaching.

Our course, though, is not like DAVE school where it's nonstop 3D. We have a BA and BFA in Media Arts (you choose), which also includes digital audio, other aspects of CGI, theory classes, scriptwriting, video lighting, shooting and editing as well as a range of photography from regular film to digital to experimental.

greeb1957
01-15-2008, 11:29 AM
I am actually thinking of going to the Dave School.

mrpapabeis
01-15-2008, 11:35 AM
It's much warmer than Ontario.....

THREEL
01-16-2008, 06:19 AM
I am actually thinking of going to the Dave School.

Me too! If I wasn't married with kids. Also, make sure you get some education about the business side of the "business", especially if you want to venture out on your own someday.

tHREEL, but you can call me AL.

greeb1957
01-16-2008, 08:47 AM
k, thanks. i had an idea of starting my own buisness, but yes practilce experince is a must :)