PDA

View Full Version : Visual Glitches in some LiveSets

dreamvisionmp
01-09-2008, 12:07 PM
I am experiencing some visual glitches during testing of some of the LiveSet content. This typically consists of a grey bar that rapidly flickers in and out toward the top of the screen, from just a few pixels to sometimes covering two thirds of the screen. Occasionally I can also see the greenscreened talent superimposed over the bar.

This has occurred on the Demo Studio, News Night, and Sci Tech LiveSets, as well as the DeskSet LiveSet that was included as a project with the Aura plugin. It seems to occur with the greatest severity on the medium shots, but happens to some degree in the others as well, whether or not the FX stream is playing back video. It only disappears completely when the video of the talent in the main input is not playing. I haven't gone through every LiveSet and every shot individually, so it may be cropping up in others as well.

I thought it might be a performance issue, so I moved the VT5 content to a faster drive, set the system for single monitor only, and made sure that the nVidia desktop manager was disabled, but that hasn't seemed to make any difference. The system has an Intel Xeon 2.8Ghz processor and 3 gigs of RAM, and a GeForce 5600 video card. Any thoughts? Has anyone experienced similar visual glitches?

Randy Rouse
01-09-2008, 09:14 PM
What speed is your front side buss? I have seen flashing on older motherboards with slower front side buss speeds.

I'm not sure it's related but I'm begining to wonder

dreamvisionmp
01-10-2008, 08:39 AM
The frontside bus speed is 800Mhz. It's an Intel Pentium dual Zeon motherboard. The chipset is Intel Canterwood-ES E7210.

John Perkins
01-10-2008, 10:28 AM
Double check the CPU usage in task manager, the symptoms sound like the computer can't keep up.

Compare the CPU usage in the following situations:
Prior to opening VT5
With VT5 doing nothing
With VT5 showing a live input through a live set
With VT5 showing your DDR through a LiveSet

I suspect that you will see an abnormally high reading from one of those steps. It could be that your DDR is having trouble playing the clip or that some background task is running.

dreamvisionmp
01-10-2008, 03:24 PM
At this point it would seem that it is a hardware performance issue after all. We have another system which had experienced similar problems. We just upgraded it to a new graphics card with more RAM, and had much better luck. There were no glitches until we increased the load to the point of capturing video at the same time we were running the liveset with livematte and multiple DDR's.