PDA

View Full Version : Making a flag blowing in the wind...

etyrihje
01-08-2008, 12:16 PM
Hi, I mostly use LW for modelling things, and havenīt done too much animation...

I have somthing going here with Cloth dynamics and a Wind Emitter, but HOW do I keep my piece of fabric (flag) attatched at one side, so that it doensīt blow away?

Any help appreciated!

(I am not good at this part of lightwave so the more detailed the answer, the better chance I have of succeeding)
It seems like there used to be a flag tutorial on the Newtek site, but itīs gone...

cagey5
01-08-2008, 12:28 PM
Not exactly what you want but close enough.

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76656&highlight=winding+flag

WilliamVaughan
01-08-2008, 01:18 PM
You need to FIX some pionts on the edge of the Flag.

etyrihje
01-08-2008, 01:24 PM
You need to FIX some pionts on the edge of the Flag.
Sounds good, could you please point me in the right direction, as to how I fix edge points?

WilliamVaughan
01-08-2008, 01:29 PM
it's in the video link above

etyrihje
01-09-2008, 11:45 AM
Thank you William, now I am a small step futher into the world of lightwave....

Now I am having trobble getting the wind right, but I guess I have to try some more... if anyone has a link to a wind on fabric tutorial I would love to see it.

Thanks

WilliamVaughan
01-09-2008, 12:46 PM
I'll add it to my list but dont be afraid to use more then one wind emmitter

etyrihje
01-09-2008, 04:04 PM
I am using two wind emitters at the moment, but my flag is rather lame unfortunatly... I have run through all settings multiple times.

I have identified the following problem, the flag seems to travel with the wind to a certain point, and then bounce back - but it never develops the nice waves I am looking for....

I would love to into this, and figure it out...
(I need to go and search for part 2 of the manual... the one that covers animation, I got the other two in front of me...)

etyrihje
01-09-2008, 04:11 PM
I found a nice chapter on clothes dynamics in Dan Abllans inside Lghtwave 8... maybe there is an answer there someplace.. (I am reading)

cagey5
01-09-2008, 04:15 PM
Be aware of scale too. A Huge flag is more difficult to maintain horizontal than a small one.

etyrihje
01-09-2008, 04:34 PM
thanks cagey

My flag is large, but itīs supposed to be...

I am starting to get some satesfying motion now (by pure trial and error, I actually donīt know what I am doing at all- animation wise...), but I have apparently one more problem...

It takes like 300-400 frames before the flag has built up the shape that I love it to be from frame 1... is there some way aorund this, or do I have to render 3-400 unnecessary frames?

is there a "male windy/garvity affected from start" button I am missing?

cagey5
01-09-2008, 04:41 PM
Difficult to say why it would take so long to stabilize without seeing the scene.
You haven't adjusted the scale of the wind part way through the animation have you?
If possible post the scene you have so far and see if someone can shed some light on it.
Also don't forget, once you have calculated the scene you can start the actual render at any frame you want, but even so 400 fromes sounds excessive to settle down.

serge
01-09-2008, 04:47 PM
I have identified the following problem, the flag seems to travel with the wind to a certain point, and then bounce back - but it never develops the nice waves I am looking for....
That is probably because you need to animate the wind, just like in real life. If the wind is just a static force coming from one direction then your flag won't move much.

To animate the wind you could use one of the wind presets like "Turbulence" which is animated by default (just put your flag inside a Turbulence wind), this can give really good results. There are other ways to animate the wind, for example by changing the power over time, or adding a procedural texture next to the power channel.

Also, don't be afraid to use high wind power values like 10000%.

etyrihje
01-09-2008, 05:06 PM
Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it!

I have set my scene to render frame 1-1200 with my original settings now -just to see what I got (I will leave it overnight), I will keep working on it tomorrow, and trying your advise then.

Thanks!

WilliamVaughan
01-11-2008, 01:01 PM
New video that might help....

Creating a flag blowing in the wind :
Click Here to view (ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/movies/w3dw/FlagWind.mov)

Hopper
01-11-2008, 02:16 PM
I did a quick setup for this and it worked pretty well. But would there be an easy way to get my "end" motion to sync up with an earlier keyframe so I can effectively make a seamless loop? I know I have to ignore the frames where the wind is beginning, but I'm not sure how to go about doing this.

My question would also apply to just about any motion such as animated procedurals or something like a hypervoxel flame of some sort.

Thanks

serge
01-11-2008, 02:52 PM
... But would there be an easy way to get my "end" motion to sync up with an earlier keyframe so I can effectively make a seamless loop?
Haven't tried it, but when the animation ends you could play it in reverse so it will end at the starting frame. You could probably setup something like this with nodal displacement and Dpont's mdd nodes.
If the transition is too obvious (the transition from forward to reverse animation and vice versa) you could add a moving displacement map on top of the mdd.

etyrihje
01-13-2008, 04:59 PM
New video that might help....

Creating a flag blowing in the wind :
Click Here to view (ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/movies/w3dw/FlagWind.mov)
Thatīs just GREAT William, thank you very much! I really appreciate it! And I am sure it will help many people!

I got all sorts of books on Lightwave from version 6 to now, but nothing is better than those videos!