PDA

View Full Version : ESC from color picker

Dufusyte
01-08-2008, 07:22 AM
If you activate the Color Picker cursor by clicking and dragging, so you have the eye dropper cursor moving on your screen, and then you decide that you do not want to Pick a Color after all, there is currently no way to Escape the color picker. For most Windows apps, you would be able to hit ESC and it would deactivate the eye dropper cursor so the color picker was no longer going to pick a color.

Is it true that SpeedEdit does not have a single function mapped to the ESC key? Is there some advantage to this? It seems to me to be a lack of basic UI functionality. What's up with the Escape-o-phobia at Newtek?

Norman
01-12-2008, 04:24 AM
I would guess, that since SE is also used in VT and the escape key brings up the main menu in VT, that might be one reason. One additional click on the undo button would get you back to where you were, but, perhaps that is more than you would like to do.

Dufusyte
01-22-2008, 09:29 AM
the escape key brings up the main menu in VT
Having the ESC key bring up the Main Menu in VT is a very non-standard and unwise implementation of the ESC key. Now SE is paying the price for VT's mistake.

Sometimes people make mistakes. When we make mistakes, it is not wise to perpetuate them and allow them to wreak a chain of havoc throughout the product line. We need to fix our mistakes as soon as possible, not perpetuate them.

The ESC key implementation needs to be properly addressed in VT and in SE.

This is your conscience speaking, and you know I am right.

SBowie
01-22-2008, 11:50 AM
Having the ESC key bring up the Main Menu in VT is a very non-standard and unwise implementation of the ESC key. Now SE is paying the price for VT's mistake.The gravity of a mistake is often fairly easily weighed as time goes on. In this particular case, I have seen exactly one complaint about this issue in the time period from VT[2] to VT[5].

So sure, something different would be fine with me too - but how much the current implementation can be said to "wreak a chain of havoc" may be a bit subjective.