PDA

View Full Version : Loving ConTEXT Programmer's Editor!

Matt
01-07-2008, 06:03 PM
Dodgy put me onto this one ages ago, but I never really used it.

http://www.context.cx/

Installed it again today to have a go while editing some LScripts, WHY I never used it back then I'll never know, it's fantastic! Quick, simple and has lots of very useful features.

Mucho thanks must go to Dodgy and Glenn for the LScript highlighter template.

I took the liberty to edit the colours to suit my taste, here they are if anyone wants them.

Cheers
Matt

Matt
01-07-2008, 06:06 PM
Actually, does anyone know where we can grab an up to date list of all the Layout / Modeler / LScript Commands?

Dodgy
01-07-2008, 07:16 PM
It is really nice, hopefully they'll have function folding, my no 1 missing feature...
All the lscript commands should be in the docs on my web page. I'm thinking about adding them to the Lightwiki though....

Red_Oddity
01-08-2008, 03:05 PM
I like SciTe aswell, have used Context for some time, but i still keep getting bck to Scite...don't know why really,.

Weetos
01-08-2008, 04:04 PM
My favorite one is Vim, an improved version of vi. it supports code folding, syntax highlighting for a whole bunch of languages (including LScript, but not the latest version though), macros, autocompletion, and lots of other cool things.

I use everyday remotely on debian servers via ssh, as its interface is textbased, it's very light and responsive even on small systems with limited ressources.

A GUI version also exists, called gVim, and both has been ported to major OSes

To me, nothing beats Vim :D (yeah not even Emacs - let's start a text editor flame war :devil: )

Matt
01-08-2008, 07:53 PM
Anyone remember Edge on the Amiga?

LOL! Look what I found!

http://www.guidebookgallery.org/screenshots/texteditor

Check out the rest of the site, I'm in GUI heaven! :D

Weetos
01-09-2008, 11:27 AM
Edge? nope I don't remember that one. it's been a while but I think I was using an emacs clone or something

faulknermano
01-11-2008, 09:25 PM
i use SciTe, too. being able to expand/collapse functions are indispensable. but i think one thing missing from most of these types of editors is UDF listing in a separate window. Bloodshed DevC++ has one, though it doesnt have the ability to expand/collapse functions. i'd also like a separate "scratch" window sometimes. i use SciTe's output window like that, but it wasnt designed for it.

kmacphail
01-12-2008, 08:04 AM
I'm with Weetos, I use Vim (well, Gvim actually) for all text/script editing on both Windows and Linux, but have have recommended context to others who weren't quite ready to try vi.

Cheers,

-Kevin

Blochi
01-14-2008, 11:20 AM
I'm all ConText, and I love it.

Blochi

stib
02-02-2008, 11:06 PM
I've had it for ages and never used it, but I'm having another look at it now. I've been using notepad++ which is pretty good, but lacks good grep abilities, and there's no lscript highlighting, so I've had to make do with using C highlighting.

Does Context let you have two windows scroll-locked to each other (very useful for comparing two lots of code). That's a big winner for me with notepad++.

You can tell a real nerd, when their favourite software is a text editor.

Dodgy
02-02-2008, 11:46 PM
It has a special compare mode...

stib
02-04-2008, 10:18 PM
I've been trying it. Having lscript highlighting is great, but I miss things like notepad++'s function collapsing, better brace and bracket match highlighting and two different find and replace tools. I'm sorry, I'm jsut going to have to stay a notepad++ fanboy.

Also I found Contex's smart tab function really weird. Seems to sometimes add spaces, sometimes tabs, but never the right one.