PDA

View Full Version : new macpro coming out?

cresshead
01-07-2008, 03:48 PM
here's the low down on the latest rumor>>

mac pro...16core...
comes with mac osx AND vista64 pre installed as a build to order option..
ranges from 4 cores upto 16 cores...
max ram 64gig,
10 drive bays,
option of dual blue ray drives
wide choice of gaming and pro graphics cards...
with osx 'spaces extension' you can run it as 4 separate pcs using a quad cpu per' virtual mac station' as it has 4 video card slots and a neat usb split out box for 4 keyboards and mice....

...hey i can dream right?:D

Phil
01-08-2008, 02:46 AM
I'd just love to see a graphics update for the Mac Mini and MacBook. Something that brings even a mere suggestion of decent OpenGL support would make me happy.

kopperdrake
01-08-2008, 04:29 AM
You swine :D

Booger...think I've wet myself.

Darth Mole
01-08-2008, 04:31 AM
16 cores would cost more money than I can bear thinking about.

Sande
01-08-2008, 04:51 AM
I'd just love to see a graphics update for the Mac Mini and MacBook. Something that brings even a mere suggestion of decent OpenGL support would make me happy.
I'd just love to see graphics update for Mac Pro - X1900XT just doesn't cut it anymore...

Otterman
01-08-2008, 05:03 AM
I know intel have released a new chip recently-3.16ghz which is marginly faster than the one used in the 8 core monster.

Have just looked on the apple store to verify this but its not accessible due to maintanance. Perhaps theyre in the process of revealing the new beast!!!!

perhaps im in dream mode......

BeeVee
01-08-2008, 07:26 AM
I have word that the next machine will be a sub-notebook - think Appl-eee

B

Chilton
01-08-2008, 07:56 AM
As you wish...?

http://www.apple.com/macpro/

-Chilton

Darth Mole
01-08-2008, 08:09 AM
Updated from 3.0GHz to 3.2GHz. Not enough for current 8-core owners to worry, but they're starting to make my Quad 2.5GHz PPC look a bit sad!

4dartist
01-08-2008, 08:10 AM
They released this morning. ;)

oh crap chilton beat me too it.

They look awesome... too bad my 8core isn't the best of the best anymore *sob*

Steamthrower
01-08-2008, 08:11 AM
Holy Levitating Burrito...16 cores...and I thought that my MacBook Pro was cool.

Bummer.

4dartist
01-08-2008, 08:17 AM
Hold your burrito from levitating, 16 cores isn't what was released just 8 again. 8) Your macbook pro is still cool. Atleast until macworld maybe mwhahAHAHAHAhaha....

Otterman
01-08-2008, 08:42 AM
I know intel have released a new chip recently-3.16ghz which is marginly faster than the one used in the 8 core monster.

Have just looked on the apple store to verify this but its not accessible due to maintanance. Perhaps theyre in the process of revealing the new beast!!!!

perhaps im in dream mode......

Ha-I see the future!!!! BOW DOWN TO ME MEAR MORTALS :bowdown:

Steamthrower
01-08-2008, 08:43 AM
My burrito is back down on the desk. OK. I can still live with 8-core. I'd only seen 16-cores from PC manufacturers like Boxx...and my MBP is still happily cool.

Still, that 8 core...kicks some serious rear end. Wish I had 20,000 free bucks to throw at it!

paul summers
01-08-2008, 09:21 AM
very cool and about time

cresshead
01-08-2008, 12:24 PM
ahh..cool a real release!
i see they have added a 8800 512ram nvidia graphics card too...about time if you ask me...and really the 768mb should have been an option too..and just maybe 2x slid..

maybe only window pc's can do sli though?

no blue ray drives..drat!

Matt
01-08-2008, 12:33 PM
A fully loaded version of that machine (no software) with 2 x 30" cinema displays on costs 14,746.99

I might buy two!

:rolleyes:

tribbles
01-08-2008, 12:38 PM
It doesn't seem that long ago since the last ones were updated...

Matt
01-08-2008, 03:04 PM
In a way it is annoying how quick the computer industry turns stuff around, my SkyNet-esque power house of a PC is now like a ZX81 these days!

:(

(Well, almost!)

achrystie
01-08-2008, 06:23 PM
For all you MAC buyers, I'd suggest that the base MACPro system is the best deal. This is the one place that MAC is what I call "truly competitive" with a comparable Windows machine. The base package for $2799 is priced, currently at least, at only about $70 more than I can build a Windows machine (with exactly the same specs) using parts from Newegg.com, this is of course more than compensated for with the "base" warranty that Apple gives, as well as the 90 day support, bundled software, and the "design" that is MAC.
Usually my general opinion of MAC is that they aren't competitive on price in pretty much everything they make for laptops and lower end machines. However, the base model of the MacPro always seems to impress me. Where things go downhill fast is when you add "any" sort of parts purchased directly from Apple at build time, or thereafter. At that point, it's not even remotely close in price to what I can build myself, and not always competitive with other manufacturer's for Windows boxes either. For instance, I can buy 2 more Gigabytes of RAM, for a total of 4GB (4 x 1GB chips, same specs as the MAC, ECC, DDR2 800, etc.) for only $49 (yes that is forty nine dollars) more on a Windows machine that I build myself, but if you upgrade the ram on the Apple site at build time or at a later date, it is $450 (yes four hundred and fifty dollars) "extra". So in that regard, IMO, buyer beware as they're really over pricing for the "non standard" configuration.
My pricing does include the full version of Windows Vista btw, for my built PC.
However, I will concede that having the "option" of going Vista AND Leopard later on is a very attractive best of both worlds sort of thing.
I get $200 off from an educator discount as well, another thing MAC does right....$2599 is very tempting. :)

ABC

zapper1998
01-08-2008, 07:57 PM
Is that an "8-core chip", [ 1 chip with 8 cores ] ????

avkills
01-08-2008, 07:59 PM
Nope, still 2 chips with 4 cores.

I am seriously considering it at the moment...

-mark

zapper1998
01-08-2008, 08:07 PM
http://www.tomshardware.com/2005/12/04/top_secret_intel_processor_plans_uncovered/page7.html

1 chip 8 cores

WOW

zapper1998
01-08-2008, 08:18 PM
it has snowed 8 inches in the last 12 hours here

FRAK....i need a snow blower now....

Sande
01-09-2008, 12:01 AM
As you wish...?

http://www.apple.com/macpro/

-Chilton
When it comes to me - pretty much. :)
"For motion graphics, 3D modeling, rendering, or animation, you’ll need the greater graphics horsepower offered by the NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT with 512MB of GDDR3 memory and latest-generation NVIDIA GPU technology."

munky
01-09-2008, 04:24 AM
it has snowed 8 inches in the last 12 hours here

FRAK....i need a snow blower now....

No! you need a snowboard and a hill!
:D

Paul

Steamthrower
01-09-2008, 06:28 AM
For all you MAC buyers, I'd suggest that the base MACPro system is the best deal. This is the one place that MAC is what I call "truly competitive" with a comparable Windows machine. The base package for $2799 is priced, currently at least, at only about $70 more than I can build a Windows machine (with exactly the same specs) using parts from Newegg.com, this is of course more than compensated for with the "base" warranty that Apple gives, as well as the 90 day support, bundled software, and the "design" that is MAC.
Usually my general opinion of MAC is that they aren't competitive on price in pretty much everything they make for laptops and lower end machines. However, the base model of the MacPro always seems to impress me. Where things go downhill fast is when you add "any" sort of parts purchased directly from Apple at build time, or thereafter. At that point, it's not even remotely close in price to what I can build myself, and not always competitive with other manufacturer's for Windows boxes either. For instance, I can buy 2 more Gigabytes of RAM, for a total of 4GB (4 x 1GB chips, same specs as the MAC, ECC, DDR2 800, etc.) for only $49 (yes that is forty nine dollars) more on a Windows machine that I build myself, but if you upgrade the ram on the Apple site at build time or at a later date, it is $450 (yes four hundred and fifty dollars) "extra". So in that regard, IMO, buyer beware as they're really over pricing for the "non standard" configuration.
My pricing does include the full version of Windows Vista btw, for my built PC.
However, I will concede that having the "option" of going Vista AND Leopard later on is a very attractive best of both worlds sort of thing.
I get $200 off from an educator discount as well, another thing MAC does right....$2599 is very tempting. :)

ABC

However, I think that perhaps you miss the point. The reasons that we buy Macs are not necessarily because of the power/buck ratio. As a matter of fact I probably paid $1000 more for my MBP than for a comparable Dell...but we buy them because of the OS, not the hardware so much.

tribbles
01-09-2008, 08:05 AM
When I got my MacPro, the equivalent Dell machine was a little bit more expensive. MacBookPro's are the other way around though (big difference between an MP and MBP :) ).

Safe Harbor
01-09-2008, 08:12 AM
Usually my general opinion of MAC is that they aren't competitive on price in pretty much everything they make for laptops and lower end machines. However, the base model of the MacPro always seems to impress me. Where things go downhill fast is when you add "any" sort of parts purchased directly from Apple at build time, or thereafter. At that point, it's not even remotely close in price to what I can build myself, and not always competitive with other manufacturer's for Windows boxes either.

<snip>

ABC

Just an FYI - we custom spec Mac Pros. We're an authorized Pro Video dealer and our "upgraded" Macs are cheaper than buying them direct from Apple. And they include the standard Apple warranty and service, so it's just like you're buying direct! :)

kopperdrake
01-09-2008, 10:10 AM

-mark

Do it - you'll wet yourself too :D

zapper1998
01-09-2008, 03:16 PM

-mark

Do it - you'll wet yourself too :D

same here.....

cresshead
01-09-2008, 03:19 PM
nice price for the power...50 more than last week's mac pro but double the cores [now 8...from last week's 4] and faster chips too...no blueray drive though...

tribbles
01-09-2008, 04:35 PM
Yes twice the cores, 50 more, but 2.8GHz instead of 3GHz.

So not quite twice as nice...

zapper1998
01-09-2008, 05:45 PM
Good Info here

http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/07/10/project_keifer_32_core/

achrystie
01-09-2008, 06:24 PM
However, I think that perhaps you miss the point. The reasons that we buy Macs are not necessarily because of the power/buck ratio. As a matter of fact I probably paid $1000 more for my MBP than for a comparable Dell...but we buy them because of the OS, not the hardware so much.

No missed point at all. I don't disagree with you. I had a MAC at one time, and use them at work every single day. However, for personal purchases the "benefit" of the interface design hasn't sold me "personally" over the past 10 years because I could almost "always" build two PC's for the cost of one MAC. So basically I was just expressing my opinion that I felt MAC had not only done the hardware right, as they always do, and that you get the benefit of the new Leopard OS AND potential for Windows, but the price was also a lot more in line with comparable windows stuff, which is very often not true.

FYI, despite the hype in both camps, I've built 15 Windows boxes over the past 10 years, for myself, friends, and for family, and in all that time I've had to replace exactly two hard drives on ALL the machines combined, that's it. No one has ever reported a crash to me, that they didn't cause themselves through neglect (I had a friend who's PC was crashing because he let it get all bunged up with cat hair, I cleaned it, it worked again, he's more diligent now :)). Additionally, the oldest Windows box I ever built (10 years ago), still runs, my mother has it and uses it. The key point being, had we "gone MAC" we would have had the same basic reliability, but it would have cost 1.5x to 2x the price, easily.
Any consumer that doesn't at least "try" to force a company to compete/align itself on price, regardless of quality, is a foolish one. Fortunately the "base" MACPro seems to be trying to compete, which is good. :)

ABC

cresshead
01-12-2008, 11:02 AM
Yes twice the cores, 50 more, but 2.8GHz instead of 3GHz.

So not quite twice as nice...

err incorrect...

50 more...8 cores instead of 4 cores
and 2.8ghz compared to 2.66ghz...

double the cores and faster base ghz per core too:thumbsup: :D

tribbles
01-12-2008, 11:13 AM
Really? I couldn't remember what was on offer when I got mine (I just got the top one [as my sig says] :) ).

Okay, so it is better then :)

cresshead
01-12-2008, 12:01 PM
yeah sure is, if you compare the prices of the 3ghz versions your saving around 400 with the new version as it's 500 more than the 2.8 compared to around 2,900 or so for the old macpro 3ghz

in anycase...mac pro's are kick *ss!